free website stats program Broken Bolt | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Bolt

I remember one of my old (60's) Hondas had this rubber thingy in the rear hub. Anyhow glad they left if off the Dyna's, I'd rather have 5th gear chatter. Although I have read where you can buy a kit to add it to the Dynas, which I doubt anyone reading this thread would want to.

Which brings up my next question, it appears that you can't even SEE the bowl bolts on a pre-ride. So if they do work loose you won't even know it until they have destroyed enough rubber to cause failure. Nope don't think I want the IDS.

I remember one of my old (60's) Hondas had this rubber thingy in the rear hub. Anyhow glad they left if off the Dyna's, I'd rather have 5th gear chatter. Although I have read where you can buy a kit to add it to the Dynas, which I doubt anyone reading this thread would want to.

Which brings up my next question, it appears that you can't even SEE the bowl bolts on a pre-ride. So if they do work loose you won't even know it until they have destroyed enough rubber to cause failure. Nope don't think I want the IDS.

Where do you think Harley got the idea from? :lolrolling

If you tried a bike without it and then with it , you would change your mind.:s

In my H/D service manuals, it specifically states at every service interval, all bolts and fasteners are supposed to be checked and tightened as necessary. If you were paying the dealer to do the service at the scheduled intervals, then they did not do what they were supposed to do. Wheter or not the warranty was expired, the failure was caused by the bolts not being tightened, the shop manager already admitted that to you. I would go back to the service department and demand that they replace it, on them, or you should take them to court for breach of contract. You will win, simply because it says this in the H/D service manual. Also, I would go to the local papers and have them do a story about the imcompetancy of that dealer and their service department. You and your son could have ended up in a world of hurt, and it would have been because of the dealer not doing what they were paid to do. Just my opinion, but it is breach of contract if they did not do what you paid them to do.

i was scrolling though this .. since i just changed the rear tire i can tell you the comp bowl bolts have no way of touching the swing arm they would hit the pulley first and break off long before that..

And the pulley isnt held on by anything it slips into a bearing and then a spacer on the side between the swing arm.. 31k on mine and the comp rubbers still look like new..

Obviously you can't see the bolts, so how does the manual suggest you check them? I can't amagine you could feel the rotational play with all the stackups in the drive line and the rubber isolators.

Since I have not seen one of these systems on a bike I am still trying to understand just how they work. I think I'm clear on the belt pulley having lugs that engage the rubber isolators in the bowl. Can someone expailn how the wheel is driven by the pulley? Is the bowl attached to the wheel? From the looks of the wheel in the pictures something destroyed the cavity that it appears the bolt heads reside in. I guess you can tell I'm confused as to what went wrong with the assembly. On my '05FLTRI, while it does not have the ISD drive and the manual does not say it, all the illistrations show the tire being replace with the pulley and brake disc removed.

Don

The bowl is bolted on to the wheel in place of the stock pulley and from there the rubber isolators are placed in the bowl and the outer pulley is then fitted into the rubber spacers and assembled as a unit onto the bike and the axle is slid threw the whole setup and adjustment is then made to the belt.

IDS Drive System - Harley Davidson Community

Where do you think Harley got the idea from? :lolrolling

If you tried a bike without it and then with it , you would change your mind.:s

Well they could do worse than copying Honda. One of the most dependable bikes I ever owned. Don't recall any of these bolts breaking on anyone's Honda back then though. Don't mean they didn't, just don't remember it.

Nope, would be true if you took out "would" and inserted "might". Not after everthing I've read here. But I will admit it would only (probably) be a hassle instead of a danger item. Since it can't reach the swing arm it's only just going to break and just spin, nothing is going anywhere.

If I can stand riding a Dyna, I can stand riding without IDS.

Checking the bolts requires the removal of the rear wheel.

The Hassle part. So much for pre-ride, more like every 10,000 or less

Don

The bowl is bolted on to the wheel in place of the stock pulley and from there the rubber isolators are placed in the bowl and the outer pulley is then fitted into the rubber spacers and assembled as a unit onto the bike and the axle is slid threw the whole setup and adjustment is then made to the belt.

IDS Drive System - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider. The bolts (threaded part)that hold the bowl to the wheel did all the damage to the wheel. Am I correct that the wheel is aluminum? If the bolts came loose is there enough room in the bowl for them to back out of the wheel and the heads not hit anything, or is the shiny wear spots on the pulley lug area caused by the bolt heads? I have been used as an expert witness on several mechnical failure cases and I would say that if the dealer replaced the tire and did not replace the bolts with new bolts coated with blue loctite, the liability is the dealers responsability.

Back