free website stats program Broken Bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Bolt

HD4ME!

While on a trip with my 11 year old son last weekend my 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide left me stranded. Right after leaving for breakfast we felt a jerk heard metal grinding then about 5 miles later the bike would not go. The belt would turn but not the wheel. I was able to get a local to come and get me with his flatbed trailer, get me back to the cabin I was stay at while I waited for my brother in law to come with his trailer and get us home. While my son and I was bummed we could not finish our trip we were glad we were safe and realize the situation could have been much worse.

I was able to get the bike to the dealer the next day and 5 days later, they informed me a bolt broke that holds the pulley on. Total damage is sprocket, wheel, bearings and everything else that goes with it is damaged and needs to be replaced to the tune of $1,016.87! :small3d031:

I have a very uneasy feeling knowing that if this would have happened on a busy freeway, which I travel often, or further away from civilization, which I was headed to, I would have been in a world of hurt!

I asked the dealer to have HD pay for the repair since the bike is only about 34 months old this should not have happened. There reply was, HD wont pay since the bike is out of warranty. To spend $30,000.00 on a bike and have a .50 bolt break and cause so much damage is absurd.

Should I push this with HD or just eat it and go on with my day?

Is this very common?

Thanks guys and gals!

There are 5 bolts that hold the rear pulley to the wheel, are you saying that 1 bolt broke or all 5??

Pulley bolts breaking is getting to be a problem, the MOCO says it is part of our routine to check them, but what if they were over torqued @ the factory Then What, I am curious?

No upgrades to the rear. The only thing that has been done to the rear was tire and breaks replaced back in June of 09 which was about 5,000 miles ago and was done by the same dealer.

There was no mention to the cush drive. Listed below is what I am told is needed:

Sprocket Assy
Isolator, rubber
Compensator Bowl
Sleeve, front and RR Wheel
Rear Wheel
Ball Bearing 25 MM
Ball Bearing 2 Row Exten

Here is a quote from the service manager "I don't know for sure but it looks like the bolts either sheared off or backed out and sheared off. It's hard to tell, there's a lot of damage." From what I gather all bolts sheared off for one reason or another. :small3d031:

I have requested all parts so I can look at them. I will be glad to share pictures.

I would be very surprised that all the bolts sheered at the same time, and if all the bolts were loose you would have had to hear or feel something. Is that a misspelling on compensator bowl? Should it be Bolt? When the term sprocket assy was used was he talking about the compensator sprocket? I also don't see a listing for a new rear pulley, or belt. I still a little confused as to what broke.

Not sure what you mean by the bolt broke. I have heard of the bolts walking their way out and then shearing off on the swing arm.

Did you recently have any work done that required the sprocket to be taken off? Is there any evidence of red thread locker on the bolts? If it was me I would want to see the bike in the shop to determine some of these things. If there was no thread locker used the Motor company might reconsider their position.

Back