free website stats program Broken Bolt | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Bolt

Jack, How do you know all this stuff. Looks like you may be right on target. Here is a duplicate of a 2008 with 5 sheared bolts.

IDS failure turned into a nightmare... - Harley Davidson Community

Then in 2009 it was re-designed.

Hoop, I remember when @ the Dealer one day hearing the service manager brow beating a rider about how it was his job to check these bolts , I did some checking and found out from a H D tech that they are seeing this happen a lot and in MO they should recall them and stand behind the problem they already know about. We never saw this problem until recently makes you go HMMMM:s

Don I don't have the manual but maybe this will help until someone gives a more detailed explosion of it.

No 17 is the bowl compensator, and 12 is the rubber

BG

It looks like the pully is not bolted at all, but rather fits on to the heads of the bolts and is clamped by the entire wheel assembly.

It looks like the pully is not bolted at all, but rather fits on to the heads of the bolts

The heads of the bolts are not in contact with the pulley. Coupling between the pulley and bowl is made by the series of rubber bumpers. The bolts just hold down the bowl. I think the exploded view VS picture #1 in entry point 25 are of two different levels of design. (?)

Because picture #1 (entry point #25) looks to me as having sheared off bolts still in it. Its the only way I can make any sense of it. I would guess OP now has new current level & design. (?)

If it simplifies it a bit, the pulley rides on a bearing and the rubber cushions are the link (connection) between the pulley and the compensator bowl which gives you the "cushion" in the drive line.

Yea it looks like the bowl is bolted to the wheel (as said) and the belt pulley connects into the rubber (and rides on the bearing glider spoke of) ....
and then the pulley is finally held onto the assembly with the axle spacer ?

So then this being the scenario, there could be no swing arm shear involved. This had to be bolt failure from another source and reason.

I read where the whole deal with the IDS was smoother ride and to help eliminate the 5th gear chatter.

Would it be correct to assume picture #1 (entry 25) is of a different level or design. I think that is a picture of the pulley.

Yea it looks like the bowl is bolted to the wheel (as said) and the belt pulley connects into the rubber (and rides on the bearing glider spoke of) ....
and then the pulley is finally held onto the assembly with the axle spacer ?

So then this being the scenario, there could be no swing arm shear involved. This had to be bolt failure from another source and reason.

I read where the whole deal with the IDS was smoother ride and to help eliminate the 5th gear chatter.

I can't see any way possible for the mount bolts and swing arm to contact each other, maybe on a NON-IDS system it could be a problem .

Back