free website stats program Brakes, anti lock or not? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brakes, anti lock or not?

I have done the same with my boat, started with them doing all the work, didn't really care for a few things (it has been said I am a little anal retentive) and started doing most of it myself. I am sure I will eventually do the easy stuff, oil, trans etc, but the important stuff like stopping I will leave to the PROs. Boats don't have brakes.
IMO :D that would be the smart thing for me to do.

Whatyardwork,
Good point on the comparioson of the 05 vs. 08 brakes. But what do you mean by "dangerous option"?
Knowing me as well as I do, I will probably keep it a long time (just because I become attached to things). I also am pretty good with a wrench, but I will probably have the bike serviced by the dealer from the start, I am getting it to have fun, not to work on it.

Smitty901
Just between me and you, I gotta ask. What does IMO mean (I feel so dumb)

I can only compare bikes ABS systems to what I see everyday in cars.Take my 2000 Silverado for example, the ABS failed misserably almost causing me to crash.Turns out it was a bad wheel bearing not the ABS that was the problem.In modern vehicles alot of them utilize a one piece bearing/ABS unit for cost effectiveness {similar to Harleys}.WHEN the bearing goes bad you have NO brakes.The E brake saved me in the truck, dont think a bike has one of those.

I can only compare bikes ABS systems to what I see everyday in cars.Take my 2000 Silverado for example, the ABS failed misserably almost causing me to crash.Turns out it was a bad wheel bearing not the ABS that was the problem.In modern vehicles alot of them utilize a one piece bearing/ABS unit for cost effectiveness {similar to Harleys}.WHEN the bearing goes bad you have NO brakes.The E brake saved me in the truck, dont think a bike has one of those.

So are the front and the back brakes separate? They each have their on master cylinder. It seems that if one fails you would still have brakes. The way my luck runs they would both fail at the same time lol:bigsmiley20:

So are the front and the back brakes separate? They each have their on master cylinder. It seems that if one fails you would still have brakes. The way my luck runs they would both fail at the same time lol:bigsmiley20:

Geeze, a good point you make about bikes having 2 pedal options vs. a cage.I am a mere wrench on cages and cannot speek to Harleys shared system proccesors.What I do know is I use front brake alot.IF that fails at a time when I realy need it?
I am not against ABS, I simply do not wish to have it on my 10 year old scoot on its 3rd or 4th brake job and learn of my $1000.00 bearing/sensor service..and by the way, bring it by the dealership so we can shut off the code.

I highly agree with everyone about the MSF course. My '04 Lowrider does not have ABS and I have had the brakes lock up with me. My '09 Ultra has them and I had to hit the brakes hard this week on the interstate and it did not slide and I had no problem stopping.

Do not get a bike without ABS. The fact of the matter is that ABS takes your braking to the point just before locking, releases and reapplies braking faster than anyone ever could.

It's almost impossible for anyone to stop a bike faster than what ABS can. When your wheels lock up on a non-ABS bike, you've lost control. This will not happen on an ABS bike. I suspect that naysayers have never ridden an ABS bike. It's easy for a rider to say how they'd react in a panic situation. That is, until they find themselves in one, lock up the brakes, lose control and get hurt or killed.

Get ABS. It may save your life.

Welcome to HDTimeline Wildcat465, thank you for your recent post and hope you stay awhile and review some of the maintenance and technical info here. Hopefully HDT will be your favorite place to Read after Riding...:D

From what I understand, if you do not like ABS, you can pull the fuse and you have standard brakes. As far as complete brake failure, the front and rear are seperate. You would have to be very unlucky to have both fail. No more of a chance of brake failure on a ABS VS non ABS IMO. Again, it comes down to the average joe rider, like 90+ % of us, ABS can do a better job than we can in most cases. It is a roll of the dice I guess. For me it is ABS, for someone else it may not be. Nobody is wrong.....Ride safe whatever you do.

Last edited:
From what I understand, if you do not like ABS, you can pull the fuse and you have standard brakes. As far as complete brake failure, the front and rear are seperate. You would have to be very unlucky to have both fail. No more of a chance of brake failure on a ABS VS non ABS IMO. Again, it comes down to the average joe rider, like 90+ % of us, ABS can do a better job than we can in most cases. It is a roll of the dice I guess. For me it is ABS, for someone else it may not be. Nobody is wrong.....Ride safe wharever you do.

Great reply Walleye. Very well stated

Back