free website stats program Brakes, anti lock or not? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brakes, anti lock or not?

Never had ABS on a bike. However, I recommend them (ABS). I don't think most riders practice emergency stops near enough, if any. To me that alone makes ABS a real plus for the average rider.

I agree that taking the MSF should be first on your list of things to do. MSF gives you some great riding info and techniques.

Enjoy the new ride.

Since I am investigating the purchase of my first bike, I have come to the next crossroad - brakes. Should I get anti lock or not?

A good friend, that has riden Harleys for ever says make sure to get them.

Others say you will not get the real feel of riding.

I have narrowed the bike down to either RK or EGC. I expect to be a slow rider, not in any hurry, taking in life and expexting to live more of it.

Since this will be my first bike and have never riden before will I really miss anything for the "better" braking that anti lock claims.

Should this be a deal breaker if the dealership has what I want on the floor?

Thanks again.

First of all congratulations on your decision to ride. As others have mentioned consider taking the MSF classes, both beginner and after just a little practice, the advanced. To your question, keep in mind under ideal conditions braking a motorcycle is much more challenging than braking a automobile. It becomes even more so when the road surface becomes wet or covered with sand, gravel, etc.

There is "no real feel of riding that you'll not get" if your motorcycle has ABS. Unless it activates to prevent a skid, you'll probably never know it's there.

Saying that you'll ride slow isn't an excuse to not have ABS. As a learning rider you'll benefit from ABS even more than an experienced rider who rides faster.

The $800 cost is a non-issue as you'll likely get it back when you sell or trade in the future. If you service your own brakes ABS adds some difficulty over conventional brakes. But I've never had a problem changing fluid in any of my ABS bikes and I'm no mechanic. If you plan on having a dealer service your bike it's another non-issue.

Deal breaker? It would be for me if I were buying a new RG or EG. I'd wait for one or have the dealer find one with ABS, they are out there.

please heed last 3 posts they can and will save you and your passengers lives!! I've been a street biker since 1977 and have quite a resume' of experience. Ride safe you're invisible!

Last edited:
I agree with all those who have said: "get the ABS." Like many here, I've ridden a lot of bikes without ABS but, as soon as I had a bike with ABS... I was sold. Without ABS, if you lock up the rear wheel in a panic stop (and it WILL happen), the bike will start to slide sideways...usually to the left...and the situation will deteriorate real fast. If you're a very experienced rider, you will, no doubt, instictively be able to ride it out and straighten the bike without going down. If you're not (and you said this was your first bike) you and the pavement are likely to become intimately familiar with each other. On a bike equipped with ABS, the rear wheel won't lock up in a panic stop and the bike will stop straight. So, get the ABS...your bike, your hide and any future passenger will thank you.

Get the ABS. I used them today stopping at a yellow turning red light. A guy was ready to gun it across the light when his light turned green. I probably could have made it and would have tried when I was younger and faster (reaction times). I hit the hooks going in a straight line and the ABS kicked in. Bike stopped on a dime and no skidding. I was also watching the mirror and the pick up truck behind me was aware of the situation and had applied his brakes early.

Be sure to take the MSF class. I rode a long time ago and this class fixed some bad habits I learned as a kid. Just be careful. My Road King was my first big bike and took quite a few months, and miles and riding in a group helped to get used to it. There's a lot of great people out there who will teach you what you need to know if you are receptive.

An expirenced rider can stop shorter without them. Being a new rider, I would say get them. You need every advantage you can get. I got them on my 08 Ultra. have had them kick in once in the rain. Don't know that they saved my life but they made things simplier.

Futurerider, ABS is a good option especially for the new rider. In this day and age, time to explore and develop rider skills over years of time may not be practical...(I can't believe an old timer like me is saying this) given the amount of activities and diversions in our lives that steal from our seat time to really develop our skills with our bikes to be always in sync...if we are seasonal riders, our skill sets wane and ebb as does the bike if not paired together constantly...

That being said, having more tools in the tool box, like ABS, if your skill level rises to meet or exceed your normal limits, your odds of survival and staying with motor-sports increases dramatically. Ride often and ride safe.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who posted responses to my question. I really appreciate the help.

It seems to confirm my thoughts, that ABS will be an extra tool in my pocket if ever needed. It sounds like they are there if needed, but basically invisable if not, just like a car. Lets hope it never happens, but be prepaired just incase.

As a new rider, rest assured that first on the list of things to do is the MSF course (April 16, and I cannot wait). I am sure they will cover anti lock brakes, even if the course bikes do not have them.

The suggestions of renting is a great idea, the closest to me is in Ocean City MD. and I believe that would be a nice place to ride and get the feel for each bike, if I stay away from the tourist and beach areas, and If I can wait that long. I think I will rent a few first - thanks.

Thanks again for the input (both pro and con). I hope you all can keep answering my simple questions until I can help others in the same way.

To all those that bought the RK as their first bike, THANKS, I was starting to second guess myself.

Here is a personal experience from YESTERDAY. Two of us were riding down the highway yesterday doing abround 65 MPH. There was an intersection upcoming that had traffic lights. I was just far enough behind my riding bro when the light turned yellow, he at first gassed it and I did the same to go through the intersection and at the last second he decided to stop. He has an 05 Ultra with non ABS, I have a 09 with ABS. He could not stop and in fact very dangerously had to proceed through the intersection. I stop basically effortlessly. In fact the ABS stopped me so fast I was concerned about traffic behind me. I will not argue that a very experienced rider may stop quicker on dry surfaces than ABS. But I will argue that MOST riders are not that experienced and in a panic situation ABS will help far more than hinder. My opinion from the start and now more than ever. I will challenge any one from a 55 MPH speed to the fastest complete stop and I am sure that 90% of takers will lose. (Glider is excluded from this challange) Just my take. Ride safe.

Back