free website stats program Bike went BOOM! (and then my pants caught on fire...) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike went BOOM! (and then my pants caught on fire...)

From your picture, I think you are referring to item #27 on the att. link. Only 2 allen head bolts hold it to the trans case. Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2004 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLHRS ROAD KING® CUSTOM Parts List
A lot of what you need is available on ebay for lots less than dealer prices. You may want to go with a true dual set up, or stay with the blended factory style exhaust. You're not in trouble, just gonna have to spend some $$ and do some searching. Don't forget new exhaust gaskets, and I recommend the tapered type, not the mesh type Screamin' Eagle. Keep us informed on how you're doing.

You are right, that is the bracket. I have the microfiche online bookmarked at Bruce Rossmeyer Daytona Harley, been a life saver.
The issue with the bracket is there are 4 bolts, arranged at 3, 5, 7, and 9 on a clock face. 5 and 7 are easily accessable, but 9 is behind the overlap for the oil fill spout (another 4 bolts to remove) and the 3 is directly behind the clutch cable. I am not sure I trust myself to take that off and reset it, unless someone is going to tell me i dont have to open up the tranny to do it, etc.
I can get a used rear header pipe for less than 100, and the rear mount is about 12 from ebay (seen a few). but it would prob be cheaper to get someone to reweld the side mount.
I want to go to a true dual setup, but with the side bracket broke, I would still have to get that fixed first.

Seeing as how your exhaust is off already it is easy. Remove the oil spout. Remove the tranny cover with the clutch cable attached and lay aside.You'll need a new gasket for both pieces removed. You can't take off clutch cable anyway without removing the cover.No adjustment necessary,leave cable attached, just bolt back together after you replaced your exh. bracket.
tourbox

If you ever do it again and want to Rid it,,, just close out the thread and go back to start over,,, I have done the same thing and closing it does work.:bigsmiley23:

signed....BUBBIE

How to close out?

If you don't have the service manual for your bike; get it. Very easy to follow; the MoCo did an excellent job developing the SM. Stop fretting, roll up your sleeves and gitter done; not difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to close out?

Back up Button right below the red-yellow-green buttons on the top left of the page.

Takes you back to the previous page on HDT,,, Before you started to do you posting. You can quit that anytime , no need to Submit Reply.

Sometimes, I'll start an answer to a thread/post,,, change my mind and not post it. I just Hit the back up button ,once or twice to get out of the posting area and back to the thread.

signed....BUBBIE

Back up Button right below the red-yellow-green buttons on the top left of the page.

Takes you back to the previous page on HDT,,, Before you started to do you posting. You can quit that anytime , no need to Submit Reply.

Sometimes, I'll start an answer to a thread/post,,, change my mind and not post it. I just Hit the back up button ,once or twice to get out of the posting area and back to the thread.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks but I don't see the back button where you say it should be. I am not blind but obviously, I am missing something.

Thanks but I don't see the back button where you say it should be. I am not blind but obviously, I am missing something.

The Page or Window your Browser puts on the Computer to get you to HDT... Nothing to do with HDT.

signed....BUBBIE

Another Update:
Finally made the run out to Hunt's Cycle Shack for parts this morning. Got a practically CHERRY new rear header (almost no blueing, and almost no soot inside the pipe), plus new gaskets, rear exhaust mount L-Tab, and spark plugs, out the door for 115. My trailer fell thru at the last minute, so a parts run is all i could do. I was also told to put the side mount back togather with JB Weld. Its curing now, but looks good. Need to give it another few hours to finish curing/drying, but it should be ready for reassembly tomorrow. Any advice as to what i can/should use to get the pipes back inside of each other? Blaster? Vaseline?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man. I have heard the song Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, but to experience it is another story. Glad the jewels are ok.

Another Update:
Finally made the run out to Hunt's Cycle Shack for parts this morning. Got a practically CHERRY new rear header (almost no blueing, and almost no soot inside the pipe), plus new gaskets, rear exhaust mount L-Tab, and spark plugs, out the door for 115. My trailer fell thru at the last minute, so a parts run is all i could do. I was also told to put the side mount back togather with JB Weld. Its curing now, but looks good. Need to give it another few hours to finish curing/drying, but it should be ready for reassembly tomorrow. Any advice as to what i can/should use to get the pipes back inside of each other? Blaster? Vaseline?

Use some anti sieze to put the pipes together, vaseline and P B blaster will blue the pipes:s

Back