free website stats program Best bolt in cam for Harleys new stock 103" baggers? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Best bolt in cam for Harleys new stock 103" baggers?

Scott, I could see doing this if he wanted to pull the heads to set the compression i.e. milling them. But as a strictly bolt in cam for the 103 wouldn't the Woods tw5-6 be a better option if someone wanted to go with a Woods cam?
Randall

Randall,

Would the woods 5-6 work well in my 96" stage one or should it need the added compression up and if so How High like *10.1/1(going 103") *10.25/1 *10.5/1??

If in the 96" stock 09, just where would the torque band come on? Enough LOW to be at 2200 ?
thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Randall,

Would the woods 5-6 work well in my 96" stage one or should it need the added compression up and if so How High like *10.1/1(going 103") *10.25/1 *10.5/1??

If in the 96" stock 09, just where would the torque band come on? Enough LOW to be at 2200 ?
thanks

signed....BUBBIE

If it were me I would do the Wood 5-6 on the 96 with a +4 advance(results in a 33* intake close) and then when I went up to a 103 remove the +4. It would also help if you swapped out the head gasket to a .030 which when combined with the +4 should set your CCC around 186.5 which is right in the wheel house for a great street motor. This would basically be a high lift SE 204 and comparing it to the 204 you should be at 90+ ft lbs of torque at 2200 rpm building up to 105-110 ft lbs at about 4000 rpm with a proper tune. Your results may vary with the TFI. It looks likes a nice option.:s

Randall

Looking into a new Road King with the 103" motor and doing the a/c, pipes and PC-V.

When choosing a cam upgrade for these stock motors, is it basically the same as a 96" or do the extra cubes make a difference when choosing a cam only upgrade (I was thinking SE 204)

Thanks for any advice.

Interesting question this. Your riding style will dictate more than anything else what kind of cam to chose. The weight of you and the bike and the gearing ratios could be more of a determining factor than the cam. If you keep everything the same and you want more lower grunt on the bottom end then you would select a cam with less overlap and duration. If its higher rpm operation then go with more overlap and duration. Look at the specs using your stock cam as a reference. Less = more----compression that is. About 20 lbs worth on some of the higher performance bagger cams. That in conjunction with higher compression ratio pistons (10.5:1) really wakes up the heavier bikes. It also will give you more mpg. You will at this point need to put in compression releases if you keep the stock starter. Do not change the carb of injector mapping for a while. It should run about the same. However, you may have to change the mixture down the road to a leaner setup. Especially with this lousy Ethanol gas.

i have a 2010limited just got it back from hd i put the 103 upgrade kit w/259Ecams EFI stage 3 it run great ps i dont know what the stock clutch thinks like to hear some feedback on this

Couldn't do the triple nickel cam due to my early TC, so did the conversion plate, 204's with SE hi lift rockers. This keeps all 204's torque specs but the lift goes from .508 to .540".... Just about ready to jam it back in the frame rails in a couple of weeks.

Dirk

DSC02760.jpg

Couldn't do the triple nickel cam due to my early TC, so did the conversion plate, 204's with SE hi lift rockers. This keeps all 204's torque specs but the lift goes from .508 to .540".... Just about ready to jam it back in the frame rails in a couple of weeks.

Dirk

DSC02760.jpg

Looks like H-D copied your look with the silver heads on a black motor for their new Blackline FX softail.
What heads did you end up using, 06 castings? What's the rest of your build?

Randall

I don't know much about motors so I can only tell you about my experience. I have a heritage softail with a se stge 4 103 kit. I was not happy with the low end this bike had. I had to shift constantly when in town. This bike had no low end. It did however scream at high rpm. Who rides like that all the time? Yes it was fun when wound up but had no power otherwise. I called Bob woods of woods cams and told him what I had and that I wanted low rpm power I can feel. He directed me to a local woods dealer and suggested that I go with woods tw-400. And have it tuned at Docs HD in StLouis MO. All I can say is wow! This thing came alive. 104hp and 118tq all in the low end where I use it every day. Call this guy and tell him what you want and he will make a believer out of you. He did m:D:D:D:De.

My dealership dudes suggested the SE 211 cams. They said this was the best bang for the buck. My 103 already has Rhinehart true duels, PC-3, & a K&N airfilter. They said they can put these in for around $800. Whats your opinions. Tracy

Went with the SE255's. WOW!

Final #'s are a 13 HP increase & 11 Torque increase.

Start: 69.37 HP
End: 83.15 HP

Start: 89.03 Tq
End: 101.0 Tq
Tracy

Dirk

Hi Dirk, I'm really interested in our set up with the "high lift" 204's.... please let us know how you go when you get her tuned.

Thanks

Back