free website stats program Battery Not Charging | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Not Charging

Don't know what they tested but you should do a load test on it and see if it passes. The CCA you mention is a bit on the low side, that could be the problem too.

Glider is correct if the stator plug works loose it acts like a dead short or full field like a car alternator this will ruin the stator

I have been watching this thread, and forgive me if i have asked this before, but i seem to have a similar problem. Before i bought my bike, when i started it, it revs (pauses) for a split second, then starts. bought it, took it home and as soon as we got it off the trailer... dead battery. put a trickle charge over night, its been fine for 2 months. however, if i turn the ignition on, and wait more than 2-3 seconds, it wont start. well, now it will not start, tried charging it again, really didnt work. been to 2 parts stores and 1 cycle store, 2 say the battery is fine, the other says its not. i think they say its at 12.85a and like 200-250 cold cranking amps. am i crazy? what should i be looking for? seems like all connections are super clean and tight.

sorry for the text wall, but my back meds are kicking in.

--Rx

I am sure you meant 12.85V which is fully charged. As Glider said, the CCA is a bit low for these bikes. At the beginning of this whole post, someone posted this link:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

I suggest going through this to see if one or more of the compenents of the charging system is suspect. Then, double check all your connections again to make sure BOTH sides of each mating surface are clean (wire brush) and then snug up the connections nicely.

TQ

The stator or rotor are the problem. The alternator is only putting out 6 to 8 volts. A resistance test showed infinite ohms so the problem is internal. Will report back tomorrow after tear down. Voltage regulator also checked out OK as did the battery. No loose connections and no broken wires.

Back