free website stats program Battery Not Charging | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Not Charging

David, not meaning to interfere, but the stator is the fixed magnet array surrounding the engine driven rotor multiple coil assembly which ultimately make up the AC generator portion of the alternator charger. The alternating current (AC) is then converter to direct current (DC) by a rectifier bridge (diode array) and this is what ultimately charges your battery and powers the electrics.

Think of it as a motor or bicycle generator, the rotor shaft spins inside causes the moving coils to cut across a strong magnetic field producting alternating current.

In Harley's a "common" malady is for the magnets to break loose or the coils to insulation get overheated, scuffed, or regulator or rectifier short develops and "cooks" the insulation...the process repeats till the coil(s) and parts burn causing no electrical flow.

Last edited:
In Harley's a "common" malady is for the magnets to break loose or the coils to get insulation get scuffed, or regulator or rectifier short develops and "cooks" the insulation...the process repeats till the coil(s) and parts burn causing no electrical flow.

Why is it a 'common 'malady only in Harleys? I've been riding bikes for 40 years(started young:D) and have never had this problem on other bikes.Maybe some some brush problems,but nothing of the nature that causes 3 phase generation systems to short or cook.

Do H-D do 'cheap' in this area?

David, not meaning to interfere, but the stator is the fixed magnet array surrounding the engine driven rotor multiple coil assembly which ultimately make up the AC generator portion of the alternator charger. The alternating current (AC) is then converter to direct current (DC) by a rectifier bridge (diode array) and this is what ultimately charges your battery and powers the electrics.

Think of it as a motor or bicycle generator, the rotor shaft spins inside causes the moving coils to cut across a strong magnetic field producting alternating current.

In Harley's a "common" malady is for the magnets to break loose or the coils to get insulation get scuffed, or regulator or rectifier short develops and "cooks" the insulation...the process repeats till the coil(s) and parts burn causing no electrical flow.

Thanks New-- I guess some of us need to realize that Glider doesn't have to be the automatic go-to guy to ask questions.
As for the Stator; I guess we are basically talking about a mechanical generator.

======================================================
OOOPS! On HD, Stator is the fixed electrical COIL array, surrounded by the ROTOR's multiple magnet assy.:small3d007:

Breeze...yeah, I got that after thinking about it, but the principle of an AC generator uses slip rings but the moving coil in magnetic field priniciple was basically the deal, instead of polarized coils and commutator for DC generator...but I figured my post was going over the top anyway...doh! :small3d007:

It probably isn't the alternator since the bike ran fine for 60 miles on a dead battery. It would seem to me the stator is putting out plenty of juice or the bike wouldn't run at all. it seems to me the problem is somwhere beyond the stator and I'm strictly guessing, but beyond the voltage regulator as well.

It probably isn't the alternator since the bike ran fine for 60 miles on a dead battery. It would seem to me the stator is putting out plenty of juice or the bike wouldn't run at all. it seems to me the problem is somwhere beyond the stator and I'm strictly guessing, but beyond the voltage regulator as well.

Running with a dead/weak battery isn't good to do because the alternator is carrying the entire load constantly and it will have a long term effect on the life of the parts in the charging system. The bike is designed to run on the battery and the alternator to replace the charge in the battery as needed under varying loads, not supply the entire load.

I have been watching this thread, and forgive me if i have asked this before, but i seem to have a similar problem. Before i bought my bike, when i started it, it revs (pauses) for a split second, then starts. bought it, took it home and as soon as we got it off the trailer... dead battery. put a trickle charge over night, its been fine for 2 months. however, if i turn the ignition on, and wait more than 2-3 seconds, it wont start. well, now it will not start, tried charging it again, really didnt work. been to 2 parts stores and 1 cycle store, 2 say the battery is fine, the other says its not. i think they say its at 12.85a and like 200-250 cold cranking amps. am i crazy? what should i be looking for? seems like all connections are super clean and tight.

sorry for the text wall, but my back meds are kicking in.

--Rx

Back