free website stats program Bad gas - now what | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad gas - now what

In agreement here -- it's a 09 - let the dealer check it out.

I considered that. But given that bad gas is not a MOCO fault, they would probably charge me a couple hours of labor to fix it.

Harley will usually shy away from selling the tools to customers ( Insecurity on their part). You have to find them in aftermarket suppliers.

Try one of the bigger HD dealers like Zanotti's. They have been known to sell tools over the internet.

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.html

What part or Part number are you looking for?

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

It worked out that I got away without the tool. Was just trying to follow the service manual. I get myself in trouble enough with it. It's the one recommended in the service manual to take the top plate of the gas tank. Once I saw what the whole assembly looked like, I was able to prior it of and put it back on without the tool.

Here is the successful conclusion to my problem.

Emptied the tank and replaced the fuel filter and everything appears to be back to normal. The bike starts and runs fine again.

The only difference is that after the initial fuel pump stage, the light goes out and then shortly comes on again for a few seconds to go out again. Doesn't seem to be affecting the rideability however.

Attached is a picture of the old and a new few filter. The picture is slightly exaggerated because of the flash. Even though I don't have any experience on what it should look like, after only 7,000 mi on the bike, the old filter sure look awful dirty to me.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions and advice.

Bernhard

Attachments

• Tmp 079800.jpg
    Tmp 079800.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I did not expect the filter to be THAT dirty, flash or no flash. Good job repairing the problem...

Sediment can be stirred up when the gas station receives a new load of gas out of the tanker truck. Never...repeat, NEVER fill up if you see a tanker doing a drop at a station. How do you know if one didn't just leave? You don't. There are supposed to be filters in the pumps. Apparently in Walleye's case they didn't do a very good job.

Did you look in the bottom of your gas tank? Was there....um...sedimenty stuff?

Last edited:
Did you look in the bottom of your gas tank? Was there....um...sedimenty stuff?

Didn't have a good way of doing that. Just swished around the gas pretty good when I empty the tank. Hopefully, I got most of it out that way.

got to agree what you running it on diesel :D sorry that filter is filthy its no wonder it struggled to run, i would if poss not buy your fuel from were you have been as it looks like sediment has been stirred up from the base of the tanks

I am pretty sure it was in Kent, TX on IH 10 from El Paso to San Antonio. Unfortunately, it is one of those stretches where if you are caught low, you don't have much of a choice. Obviously, from now on I will work to avoid that situtation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back