free website stats program Bad gas - now what | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad gas - now what

I obviously ended up with some bad gas on my last road trip. Coming back from El Paso, TX the bike started stuttering intermittenly while on the highway.
Since it's a 540 mi distance back home to San Antonio, I filled (or topped of) twice more, but the probelm never went away completely. It acts as if the fuel pump is being blocked, and the stuttering and bumping of the bike mixes things back up.
Just read thru the service manual on removing the tank, but it seems to get to the fuel filter I will need a special tool.
Can anybody recommend a course of action to follow. I have read previous threads on bad gas and it seems to me that I picked up some debries not water as some of the threads dealt with.

TIA

Bernhard

you might try some "dry gas" or a little fuel injector/carburetor cleaner fuel additive.

Change the fuel filter if you think your problem is debree low pressure can scatter a motor

Maybe try draining the tank and refilling so you know all the old gas is out of there. Sometimes you can get the "bottom of the barrel" if the tanks in the ground are running low.

The easiest answer is you picked up water and it settles to the bottom of your tank, just topping up does not displace the water, only thing to do is drain completedly in a clean container...disconnect hose at the inlet and drain it separately and replace fuel filter. After settling, carefully siphon the gas back except for the area near bottom where you see the junk and water, and you should be fine.

The easiest answer is you picked up water and it settles to the bottom After settling, carefully siphon the gas back except for the area near bottom where you see the junk and water, and you should be fine.

I disagree!! Put it in your lawnmower and start over with new fuel! (from a different station):s

I disagree!! Put it in your lawnmower and start over with new fuel! (from a different station):s

I disagree. Put it in your snowblower. LOL. Gas in a can to hold it's octane level is only good for up to 3 weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would never put gas in my bike if it was sitting for more than a month on the garage shelve.

The easiest answer is you picked up water and it settles to the bottom of your tank, just topping up does not displace the water, only thing to do is drain completedly in a clean container...disconnect hose at the inlet and drain it separately and replace fuel filter. After settling, carefully siphon the gas back except for the area near bottom where you see the junk and water, and you should be fine.

How difficult is it to replace the fuel filter? I have the service manual and read throught the procedure and it doesn't seem to hard, but I am not a mechanical whiz either. Anything to watch out for?

By the way, my bike is an '09 Street Glide.

TIA

Bernhard

Maybe this will give you some info.

Just remember to replace the gasket and the self sealing screws when doing the job.

Fuel Sending Unit - Harley Davidson Community

Glider,

I just called around for the tool to take out the top plate as they called it in the service manual, and one dealer told me that they can't sell the special tools from the service manual. I would have to go with some kind of aftermarket tool. Have you ever heard that before?

Second, two dealers didn't have the fuel filter kit in stock which seems odd. This is a service item (even though only at 20k) but certainly would be a common trouble point just like I suspect for my bike.

Either way, do you believe I get very far just trying to drain and flush the tank without being able to replace the fuel filter?

TIA

Bernhard

Back