free website stats program Bad gas - now what | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad gas - now what

You might try some Seafoam. Available at your local Walmart Automotive department or your local auto parts store. 1 ounce of seafoam to 1 gallon of fuel. Cleans it right up.

I removed my gas tank completely and drained the tank. Really not that hard to do. It is about impossible to siphon it all out. Off and on maybe an hour. This is of course if it is water and you do not have to remove the filter.

I removed my gas tank completely and drained the tank. Really not that hard to do. It is about impossible to siphon it all out. Off and on maybe an hour. This is of course if it is water and you do not have to remove the filter.

I am trying to decide if that will be all that is needed. I guess it wouldn't hurt as the first step.
However, my bike acts more like it is some kind of debri. Once, on startup, the fuel pump light didn't do off by itself, and a couple of times when it acted up, the fuel pump light came on while going down the highway. Doesn't that sound more like a clogged fuel filter? However, why would it clear itself and run again for a while before acting up again?

I'll try to report back...

Bernhard

If the light came on when going down the highway and it kept running right, I would think more along the lines of an electrical problem rather than fuel.

I am trying to decide if that will be all that is needed. I guess it wouldn't hurt as the first step.
However, my bike acts more like it is some kind of debri. Once, on startup, the fuel pump light didn't do off by itself, and a couple of times when it acted up, the fuel pump light came on while going down the highway. Doesn't that sound more like a clogged fuel filter? However, why would it clear itself and run again for a while before acting up again?

I'll try to report back...

Bernhard
Being a brand new bike, I think I'd take it in to the dealer and tell them it's acting up. It would have to be some pretty bad gas to cause these kinds of problems " if " it is the gas. If your filling up at a normal gas station and not somebody's bucket in their garage then the chances of getting gas that bad is pretty low.

If the light came on when going down the highway and it kept running right, I would think more along the lines of an electrical problem rather than fuel.

It went back off after a couple of seconds and reving the bike. I just started the bike after it sat for a few days it was acting up pretty bad right away. I think I will try to replace the fuel filter along with draining the tank. Can't see going thru taking the tank of twice.

Have you ever heard of the thing in one of my previous messages where HD doesn't want to sell you the special tools from the service manual?

Bernhard

I disagree. Put it in your snowblower. LOL. Gas in a can to hold it's octane level is only good for up to 3 weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would never put gas in my bike if it was sitting for more than a month on the garage shelve.

It would seem I was doing just that all last summer.Always made a point of seeking Sunoco stations for there premium as they are plentifull in my area.After a couple dozen fill ups at the station nearest my home the attendent made a surprizing comment.He said "Seems the only ones willing to pay the extra buck for super these days are the bikers".Made me wonder how long that tank of super had been hanging around.

Being a brand new bike, I think I'd take it in to the dealer and tell them it's acting up. It would have to be some pretty bad gas to cause these kinds of problems " if " it is the gas. If your filling up at a normal gas station and not somebody's bucket in their garage then the chances of getting gas that bad is pretty low.

In agreement here -- it's a 09 - let the dealer check it out.

Back