free website stats program Bad coil??? I hope! | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad coil??? I hope!

Well, I put it back together, and gave it one more try for the gipper. I had my hopes up....it fired, ran for a second on the front cylinder I think, and then nothing. I was hoping it would throw a bad code, but no luck, they all came back clear. Bubbie I appreciate your patience, I just wish I knew a simple way to check the cpk before I go out and buy one. I read the literature on the post, but I can't make heads or tails of it.

Now I want full disclosure here.....

It ALL started a couple of weeks ago, at first I thought I had bad gas. It would cut out intermittently. I wondered if I was out of gas, switched to the reserve, and no luck, it was just cutting out on me. Not bad at first, but it wasn't running right. I put in a couple caps of gas additive, someone said I might have a little moisture in the tank. After the additive, boy, I could rev it up, and it sounded like a million bucks. Great right. Then it started running on and off with one cylinder. Replaced plugs and wires, and once again, it ran like the screaming eagle it was. Very shortly thereafter, it was running on one cylinder again.....only to be trumped by not running at all.

O.k., now you know what I know!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy, now it makes sense...since it started to run like a "million bucks" after putting in gas additive...I would say look into the fueling one more time. This is because you put additive in the tank, which cleaned "some" of the gunk clogging the works (water, rust, etc.). By now any fine stuff that has gotten past the inlet filter is now getting into the works. Go to the Self Help tab near the top and look at the fueling system, pull and clean fuel tank and screen; next unscrew float bowl drain plug, putting drainings in a clear glass.

FUEL TANK - 2000 Harley Davidson FLSTF

Here's a pic of the carburated Fatboy fuel tank. One of the easiest things to do would be to drain the tank, remove the petcock and remove and clean the filter screen for starters, if you decide to go that route and haven't done so already. Just thought the pic might help..

Last edited:
GUY,,,,,, Careful here,,,,,,
Put a Little gas into a spray bottle -----When starting (air filter off) Spray a small amount of fuel into the air venture keeping it running ... IF it is Gas Lack it will run fine!! try this and report back....

signed....BUBBIE

If this Doesn't work MY bet is crank sensor!!!

Don't really want to get into spraying gas. I really don't think it is gas, when it is trying to start, it will try to fire. It's almost as if the timing is off or something. It tries to fire, but it can't get in sync or something.

Don't understand what spraying the gas will do? Please explain.

(Plugs are getting wet, indicating it's getting fuel)

Don't really want to get into spraying gas. I really don't think it is gas, when it is trying to start, it will try to fire. It's almost as if the timing is off or something. It tries to fire, but it can't get in sync or something.

Don't understand what spraying the gas will do? Please explain.

(Plugs are getting wet, indicating it's getting fuel)

Well I read your post on " now you know what I know" and it sounded like it would run then quit .... Just thought it would be short of gas....

But now you say the "plugs are wet" so the Gas Spray is NOT needed here...

You have EVERY symptom of a crank sensor...
IT is the Crank sensor ! <- I would put that statement left all in caps!

signed....BUBBIE

I've got a manual coming, hopefully by tomorrow. I could sure use it to help me figure out a few things. Can you tell me an easy way to test the ckp? I sure need the book, I can't find where the silly thing connects to the bike.

I've got a manual coming, hopefully by tomorrow. I could sure use it to help me figure out a few things. Can you tell me an easy way to test the ckp? I sure need the book, I can't find where the silly thing connects to the bike.

The only TEST I found was the one we just went thru. Thats how I did mine, Just didn't take as much time until I tried the New Sensor... I don't think the book will help so much as testing goes.. UNLESS you have a HOOPLE in your tool box!!!!!!!!!

good luck here, Im around!

signed....BUBBIE

O.k., talked to a guy on another site, and he gave me the proper readings for the ckp sensor. He said it should test about 1000 ohms. I was able to find the connector, and tried it out. Mine read 1050, or 1100 ohms. So I think I can rule out the sensor. My shop manual arrived today, but it appears as though I needed the electrical diagnostic manual. Figures. I was going to test some of the other stuff, voltage regulator, and what else I could find to test. I'll have to wait unless anyone can volunteer some information.

It is appreciated!!!

O.k., talked to a guy on another site, and he gave me the proper readings for the ckp sensor. He said it should test about 1000 ohms. I was able to find the connector, and tried it out. Mine read 1050, or 1100 ohms. So I think I can rule out the sensor. My shop manual arrived today, but it appears as though I needed the electrical diagnostic manual. Figures. I was going to test some of the other stuff, voltage regulator, and what else I could find to test. I'll have to wait unless anyone can volunteer some information.

It is appreciated!!!

I don't know if your bike Also has the cam sensor? CMP, It may of not been use on the 2001, it also is a magnetic sensor and It would have the same symptom as the ckp sensor... Look in your New manual and see if on your motor. They did do away with it but I don't know what year.. giveaway was a wire leading into nose cone area.
I also had to replace two of them in the 2000 life span and looking, I did replace a total of 4 crank sensors that Were bad.

The cmp if you have one is easy to ck.. If you need that information, it should be in your book. or ask. i have it here.

bubbie

Back