free website stats program Bad coil??? I hope! | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad coil??? I hope!

Guy Rand

Had a problem last week getting fire in both cylinders. I changed the plugs, and everything ran good. THIS week, I started it a couple of times, and it ran great. I went home today, and tried to fire it up, and nothing. I mean NOTHING. Can anybody tell me how to test for a bad coil? I can't really afford any expensive fixes right now, so I'd like to try and isolate the problem, and try to fix myself. Problem is that I don't have very much equipment. An ohm meter, and new plug wires, and relatively new plugs.

Any suggestions?

Like Hoople is asking, what do you mean by "nothing"? No lights or instruments, or just no turning over? Clicking with the START button?

TQ

As for the self help section, didn't know it exists. I haven't spent too much time browsing around the site.

When I say nothing, let me clarify...I get lights, and instruments, but no fire. It turns over real good, but that's it.

These are the codes it showed in order. d01CLr,d02CLr,d03CLr,d04CLr,d05CLr,d06CLr,d07CLr,d08set,d09CLr,d10CLr,PPU,82883......found this on another thread, and my codes are identical.

I also found some information about testing the coil. When I tested the primary windings, the readings were off a little. I wasn't real sure which of the 2 leads to test. There were three where the wiring harness hooks up. Depending on which set of leads I checked, the readings came back from .9 to 1.4 ohms. The advice I found said it should be between 2.5, and 3. The secondary windings tested in normal range. At this point, I'm thinking the coil, but I hate to keep throwing money at the bike without fixing the problems. I'm allready into a new set of plugs and wires. Minimal I know, but I have champagne dreams on a budweiser budget.

Any ideas?

d08set. Excessive speedo voltage.(?) Have you had a boost battery charger on the bike while trying to start it.
Clear the code and see if it resets. Just a guess but maybe it's protecting you from damage. (?)

These are the codes it showed in order. d01CLr,d02CLr,d03CLr,d04CLr,d05CLr,d06CLr,d07CLr,d08set,d09CLr,d10CLr,PPU,82883......found this on another thread, and my codes are identical.

I also found some information about testing the coil. When I tested the primary windings, the readings were off a little. I wasn't real sure which of the 2 leads to test. There were three where the wiring harness hooks up. Depending on which set of leads I checked, the readings came back from .9 to 1.4 ohms. The advice I found said it should be between 2.5, and 3. The secondary windings tested in normal range. At this point, I'm thinking the coil, but I hate to keep throwing money at the bike without fixing the problems. I'm allready into a new set of plugs and wires. Minimal I know, but I have champagne dreams on a budweiser budget.

Any ideas?

On the primary one wire will be front cylinder(C Blue Purple), one wire will be rear cylinder (A Yellow/Blue), third wire power(B white/black). Later models have a forth wire for knock sensor.

My manuals says .5 to .7 ohms Primary. 5500 -7500 Secondary.

Hmmm...another post I got said the ohms on the primary side should be a little higher. Not too sure where to go from here.

On the codes, I read it wrong, all codes were clear. Anybody else have an opinion on the voltage on the primary side of the coil? According to my information, it's a little low, but according to my friend here I'm close to allright. My readings on the low side were substatially higher. Does that indicate anything?

Glider, can you help me find the self-help section? I looked around last night a little bit, but it eluded me.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back