free website stats program ATF for primary oil | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF for primary oil

The thing here is not too many people select ATF because it is not recommended by the manufacturer...plain and simple. If HD felt it was a viable lube in there, it has the R&D resources to test and prove long term...and with 100 years or so of accumulated experience they would know and recommend what goes in there. And don't ask about warranty service on a new bike if you put ATF in there...ANY failure would not be warranted...PERIOD.

I do have ATF in my primary now and it did help considerably with the shifting because the clutch releases much better than it did with syn3..

I am sure that would be true because the parasitic drag of ATF has got to be a bunch less than any 20/50 lube.

I really would not be too concerned about the chain shoe. It is easy to check and change if need be. Like was said earlier, if it was a Totally bad idea, there would be lots of people with torn up parts which you really don't see.

How can you say that, It is your bike and I know how well you take care of it and I also know you would choose wisely when it comes to oil, As far as friend ship not to worry there, I use HD 360 and am not ashamed to say so, Let the laughing begin, I have racked up well over 200k on HD motors with HD oil, Capital Jack

Jack,,I have no fear because I have AAA Plus with RV/motorcycle!!:) But I must stay within 200 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing here is not too many people select ATF because it is not recommended by the manufacturer...plain and simple. If HD felt it was a viable lube in there, it has the R&D resources to test and prove long term...and with 100 years or so of accumulated experience they would know and recommend what goes in there. And don't ask about warranty service on a new bike if you put ATF in there...ANY failure would not be warranted...PERIOD.

You are probably right about voiding a warrantee, But most riders run out of warrantee and keep on riding. But there shoud be an oil analyst somewhere on the forum that might be able to tell us the difference between formula+ and ATF other than color. As far as HD recommending it goes it would not happen because they don't put the Harley label on it and charge an exorbidant price.

Few years ago they claimed synthetic oil was not good for your bike.

But there shoud be an oil analyst somewhere on the forum that might be able to tell us the difference between formula+ and ATF other than color.

There probably is. The thing is all you will get is a report that really tells you nothing. The bottom line & truth is in trying it. That is what I am doing with my engine oil. We shall see..:34:

Few years ago they claimed synthetic oil was not good for your bike.

100% Syn is still not good for "Some" bikes...you will not see 100% Syn used in 4 cylinder Sportbikes that have all three areas lubed by one oil...engine, primary/clutch and tranny as an example. Just so happens that the Harley has all three in separate holes ('cept the Sportster family) so you can selectively use 100% Syn in two out of the three holes with no issues...but putting it in with an oil wetted clutch with friction modifiers in the oil will cause premature clutch failure.

And just because some racers use exotic oils and lubes because they tear down and rebuild their race engines and trannys many more times than you would in your streetbike in it's life time. Practical for them, no practical for you...but this IS a free country and you can choose what you want. :D

After doing some reading about ATF's, I think it would lubricate the chain as well as anything and it should flow well at low temps and keep its viscosity at higher temps. It has anti-foaming, and anti-corrosion agents, as well as seal conditioners. I don't think it would harm the stator with all the electrical components in a transmission, but this is a statement based on logical assumption not on experience or reserch. Bottom line is that if I installed an after market clutch that required a type of ATF I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

100% Syn is still not good for "Some" bikes...you will not see 100% Syn used in 4 cylinder Sportbikes that have all three areas lubed by one oil...engine, primary/clutch and tranny as an example. Just so happens that the Harley has all three in separate holes ('cept the Sportster family) so you can selectively use 100% Syn in two out of the three holes with no issues...but putting it in with an oil wetted clutch with friction modifiers in the oil will cause premature clutch failure.

And just because some racers use exotic oils and lubes because they tear down and rebuild their race engines and trannys many more times than you would in your streetbike in it's life time. Practical for them, no practical for you...but this IS a free country and you can choose what you want. :D

You missed my point. You were making the point HD with 100 years experience knows best. I was pointed out that they do not always and things change.

Their original stance on Synthetic was NOT to use it. They a have changed that now. Their stance on using synthetic was the same in all three holes and I believe with most dealers it still is. That is what they tried to sell my brother over the summer for an oil change. Sounds like there is information the dealers might need about lubing the primary. Do you suggest deviating from what the dealer recommends? See what I am getting at?

I missed wilks3 post sounds like they changed their stance on transmission lube too.

Back