free website stats program ATF for primary oil | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF for primary oil

Yea , its funny. If you can't find HD engine oil use a diesel rated oil. Doesn't say anything about "V-Twin" rated oil.
And don't mix their Syn3 with their own Semi-Synthetic Trans oil.
Yea, thats funny, how some people on this forum won't use HD Hugo's engine oil, or HD's tranny oil, but by golly there ain't nothing better than Formula+ primary oil!!! Yea, thats funny.........
wilks3

Just changed out oil to Mobil 1 0W20. Aaaaamazing! No more Klunck!!!
HD now sounds like a $18,000 motorcycle should.
Went for 60 mile ride, clutch don't slip abit. Feels the same.
wilks3

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty, I agree, as you said most any oil will work, and is easier to just use HD's primary oil. But, you and I know there are better oils at here for our toys. This is one of them that I think will work and cause no harm to my primary chain, shoe or clutches.
I'll keep you posted on clutch performance.
wilks3

Smitty, Hope so too. Forgot in last post to say I've put Mobil 1 0W20 primary, bike now "clicks" when shifting to first. Yea!
I'll keep you up-dated with good or "bad" performance.
wilks3

Last edited:
Yes, synthetic. HD puts their Syn3 in even though its a blend. Other guys put in syn 20w50 with no problems.
wilks3

There may be a few people who use ATF in their primaries, especially if they have an aftermarket clutch and the manufacturer recommends it. But for the life of me I can not find a compelling reason for using it in a stock bike. It more than likely will not hurt it, but why use it when a quart of oil that is made for this type of use is less than $4.00. Since the primary does not get all that hot, there is no reason to put synthetic in there unless you just want to for simplicities sake. I put a quart of Rotella 15w40 diesel in there because it is good oil (dyno) and it does not have friction modifiers in it. But then again I use Rotella in my bikes crankcase in the winter months when I don't have to worry about the oil getting to 400 degrees. At the end of the day you can put pretty much whatever you want in any hole of your bike. None of them will likely harm your bike, although some will certainly treat it a little better (like synthetics in the hot summer months). This discusssion can and has gone on for ever.

i use formula+ right now but i'm thinking of giving vavoline dino 10w-40 motorcycle oil in my primary figure it will work just fine shoot maybee better

Back