free website stats program ATF for primary oil | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF for primary oil

And Honda says to use there power steering fluids also, not just because of the higher flash point, I know, I replace a lot of pumps and racks that failed early IMO

Again beating a dead horse. But I would love to see a comment concerning a Harley Davidson Motorcycle that had a problem concerning quality ATF in the primary.

But I would love to see a comment concerning a Harley Davidson Motorcycle that had a problem concerning quality ATF in the primary.

What Jack and I were saying is that not all ATF fluids and power steering fluids are alike. Not that you can't use ATF in the primary but that there are several brands and types just like motor oil.

No Biggie:)

What Jack and I were saying is that not all ATF fluids and power steering fluids are alike. Not that you can't use ATF in the primary but that there are several brands and types just like motor oil.

No Biggie:)

If it works for you continue to use it, The Wet clutch indeed needs a bit of lube to operate and keep cool, That is why a wet clutch will out last a dry one. IMO what ever lube you have used in the past should be fine, We were only having a good discussion here and meant no disrespect to any one, This is why we have the BEST Forum IMO, Capital Jack:s

Wonder if you can overfill using the lighter fluid. If so then this could negate the issue with the ATF no climbing the gears and not enough residual sticking to it.

Wonder if you can overfill using the lighter fluid. If so then this could negate the issue with the ATF no climbing the gears and not enough residual sticking to it.

I think we can all agree that "lighter fluid" should be restricted to the BBQ grill and not used in the primary!

:lolrolling

I think this is a great thread, most of all it shows there's alot of people that do not have good comprehension skills. I too would like to here from the folks that have used ATF,and what kind of results they've had.

I too would like to here from the folks that have used ATF,and what kind of results they've had.

Could it be that there aren't too many people using ATF in the primary because it doesn't belong in there and that's why you aren't getting any replies? It's OK for the clutch linings but everything else in the primary it falls short on as far as proper lubrication. It'll "get by" but I want a product that does a bit more than that, besides there are other things to consider like wiring for the stator and the epoxy that secures the magnets for just a few that may be effected by ATF

It's much the same as if I asked about using peanut oil in the primary, there wouldn't be many people admitting to that either.:s

Smitty, since you know Caterpillars you are aware that the tandem housings on a motor grader can use ATF among other lubricants. I am sure the chains in the tandems have a lot more stress placed on them than our little old Harleys do. Now how it may effect stators, adjustment shoes etc. I am not sure, but I have Zero doubt that as a chain lube ATF is more than adequate.

Back