free website stats program Are you thinking about.... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Are you thinking about....

The DFT Trike conversion is independent suspension and comes with 2 body styles for the FLHT.

Attachments

• flsmoothie.jpg
    flsmoothie.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 12
  • fltouring.jpg
    fltouring.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 13
Hey Val --- Your making it very difficult for me NOT to convert my 07 UC into one of these trikes !!!!!! Independent susp., reverse and the passenger NOT sitting on top of the axel!!!!!!! Good luck in your ventures!!!!

Hey Val --- Your making it very difficult for me NOT to convert my 07 UC into one of these trikes !!!!!! Independent susp., reverse and the passenger NOT sitting on top of the axel!!!!!!! Good luck in your ventures!!!!

This is exactly what the buyer faces, all these choices and that is why it is important to take test rides, visit the trike kit manufacturers website and the best thing of all is to visit the local trike shop and take a test ride, or even better when the major manufacturers are at a major rally take a test ride. It's a big investment to convert a bike over. I emphasize the test ride because that is very important.
I've been involved with trikes for 10 years and I like to educate the buyer before they spend the big $$$. Right now most of the postings are for the FLHT, the others haven't even been touched yet. Those people will be going, "Oh boy!" too.

Trike Lady is correct on what every person that wants a trike or to convert what they have into a trike should know before hand. Sometimes the simplest little thing we take for granted. When over looked can become a major item we forgot to look into. For my build. I really loved the engineering that went into the DFT rear suspension. However, their body styles didnt fit my taste. I had no idea as to how much pre-fabrication I would have to do to make the body I had on hand fit. Even though there is a lot of choices for you to make on your part. Be happy that riders/ builders before you, have the opportunity in here to share what they/we know or learned the hard way. Let me add something else. Reverse was a concern of mine and even for me to install it myself. It's a lot of work and your talking over a 1000.00 just for the parts. Though my trike is an on going build. I do ride it. But there was only one time so far that I had to get off and push my trike backwards. Which incidentally was a heck of a lot easier than trying to back-up a two wheeler. So everything that you can get in your trike build. Make sure you think about it. A trike is just as personal as your motorcycle. Its not the same as going to a car dealership and just buying/ settling for what they have on the floor for sale. The more you know about your bike or trike. The better off you'll be.

zoood/RJ

A factory built trike from Harley Davidson the Tri-glide Ultra and Street Glide Trike (two models shown with upgraded paint work).

Attachments

• sgtrike.jpg
    sgtrike.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 14
  • tgtrike.jpg
    tgtrike.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 15
  • hd trike 3.jpg
    hd trike 3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 13
Now for something a little different. This is an outrigger wheel set up from Motorcycle Tour Conversions, also known as the Voyager. The great part about this is that it doesn't affect the resale value of your bike, can be used on another one with 'Model Specific' hardware and is relatively inexpensive.

Attachments

• phoca_thumb_l_h-d dresser silver  black.jpg
    phoca_thumb_l_h-d dresser silver black.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 21
Three different sets of add ons or outrigger wheels, again these are multi fit units.
Photo 1. Towpac Instatrike.
Photo 2. Triax
Photo 3. Trigg Trike
Photo 4. Triax unit

Attachments

• trigg.jpg
    trigg.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Heritage Softail 1.jpg
    Heritage Softail 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 18
  • hd.jpg
    hd.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 16
  • triax.jpg
    triax.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 19
I actually got the chance to test ride the Trigg Trike Kit and I can honestly say that it put my Voyager to shame. There was no lean at all, it was more like riding a trike and even handled better, the rear wheels of the kit were set back from the drive wheel. I rode it in a parking lot that was mostly dirt, sand and had some crators in it; and no matter how hard I rocked the trike from side to side I could not get the wheels to come off the ground even in sharp turns. I was impressed with the kit and if outrigger wheels are what you can afford. Give these a try, you may like them.

Something you'd probably not think would make a good trike, the V-Rod. A kit from Motortrike.

Attachments

• srVRod.jpg
    srVRod.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 17
The final V-Rod trike kits.
1. Frankenstein
2. Hannigan

Attachments

• VROD 150 2.JPG
    VROD 150 2.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 12
  • vrodbighannigan.jpg