free website stats program Any other suggestions/opinions (Tires) | Harley Davidson Forums

Any other suggestions/opinions (Tires)

Sunnysideup

I am about ready to finally install some new tires on a set of 07 lowrider cast wheels I purchased some time back. Being an 06 model it came with Dunlops and that's what I put back on original chrome spoke wheels. Thinking I will be staying with the Dunlop brand for the new ones (cast lowrider wheels). Any suggestions or comments if I should stay or change brands?

Always been a fan of using stock tires and budgeted for 20k miles on the front and 10k on the rear. Usually change prior to these ahead of a big trip. With the Dunlaps, the only time I've run a tire to the wear indcators I had 13k on the rear.

That said, this last time I went with the Michelin Commander II front and rear. Been about 5k miles, and I just measured the tread -- no measurable wear on the front and 2/32" worn on the rear. The local indy priced them slightly less than the stockers.

Handling is a bit different, with much more traction on curves and when leaned over and with less straight ahead tracking as the bike tends to wander a bit if i'm not paying close attention. Not real good on dirt or gravel but fine when the pavement was wet. No tire pressure indicated, only instruction is to use whatever is stock.

Bike is an '07 Dyna Super Glide, cast wheels, about 65k miles, and mine since new. Unless something drastic happens I will stay with the Commander IIs.

Been using Avon Venom's for two sets now. A little less mileage but more grip and a good ride IMO. More mileage=less grip, Less mileage=more grip. How much grip do you want and how much do you want to spend. That is what it boils down to.

I've been using Avon Venoms on both bikes and like the ride. They have a "sport" tire profile and seem to make the bikes handle better. Just put a set of Avon Cobra on the Heritage. They have the new compound tread, harder in the middle and softer on the outside. Ride is just like the venom with a better feel when they are heeled over. I'll let you know about the mileage.

I was expecting some replies back on the Michelin tires being Harley has used them in most recent years on the new Dyna's but didn't expect to hear from the Avon brand. Thank you for the feedback! Definitely would like to improve the ride if at all possible.

Avon venom here they seem to work a lot better in the cold wet climate we have here defiantly more grip and a smoother ride i have them on both the softail and sportster and will fit them to the dyna when their time comes
I expect to get less miles out of them but grip is more important to me

Brian

I've been using Avon Venoms on both bikes and like the ride. They have a "sport" tire profile and seem to make the bikes handle better. Just put a set of Avon Cobra on the Heritage. They have the new compound tread, harder in the middle and softer on the outside. Ride is just like the venom with a better feel when they are heeled over. I'll let you know about the mileage.

On the Cobra tire, can you feel the transition at all from the harder middle to softer outside?

Really don't have that many miles on them (600 or so). But when I change from the RG to the ST it seems that they are sticker on the sides. Just a feeling, as I have never had either tire slide on me while cornering. Of course the ST starts dragging the floorboards pretty quick so it's not like I'm really leaning it. I will add that both the Venon and the Cobra are great rain tires, very stable in the wet stuff.

Back