free website stats program Any other suggestions/opinions (Tires) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Any other suggestions/opinions (Tires)

One thing I did not realize is the last set of Dunlops and I assume the same as came original were 401's on the front and K591's on the rear. So I guess it is not out of the question to use mismatched sets even though I have always heard not to do such.

Commander II's have the proper front and backs for the Streetbob.

It is often not good to mix the tyres front and back as the handling characteristics of different models of tyre can cause instability under some conditions however in some circumstances the matched tyre may have a different model number for front and rear but be a good match for handling characteristics you just need to do your research with the tyre company to see what works together
I tend to stay with what i know works for my riding style and road conditions however this did take some trial and error over the years

Brian

My suggestion is that you go to a store where you can see and touch all your choices. I'm lucky to have a shop nearby. I did my research and was ready to buy a specific rear tire. When I got to the tire place, I asked to see everything that fit my Harley and ended up changing my mind. My first choice seemed to have a thin hard tread. The one I got had a thicker, softer and stickier tread (the Metzeler Marathon). My girlfriend says the ride is more comfortable. The price was just a bit more, but I'm glad I got it.

:44:

Last edited:
Brian.......Thank you for explaining why mismatching may possibly not work. I always thought it was more of a sales pitch to sell both a new front and rear. I can see where some compounds may possible work against one another. Instability is not something I wish to feel in a turn at my skill level.

Ynot.......Good suggestion. Not something easily done but can be worked in. Thanks for the post.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Commander II's. I think I'm going to go ahead and try out a fresh new set this spring. My Dunflops still have some life left in them....

Back