free website stats program Alternatives to Trikes, Please? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Alternatives to Trikes, Please?

If we are lucky, we will all get there some day. Some will choose to stop riding, but those of us who won't give up will be looking for an alternative. I personally would consider a three wheeler, but Harley's solid axle configuration is totally unacceptable. It all comes down to what a person likes. When you find the right product that fits your needs, you will know... Good Luck to you, I'll be following behind in a few years!:)

I started this thread:
Most replies were helpful or at least encouraging. One wag in a riding club told me to go to the gym regularly and build up upper body strength. Thanks pal !! :-(( I did have the LandinGear/Leg Up installed for right at $3500.
I can provide a mixed review. The controls to get it up or down are convenient and easy learn. When deployed the bike is relatively stable standing on it's own without the kick stand.

The down side is that handling the bike with leg up wheels deployed takes a lot of getting used to. One must get used to aggressive steering as otherwise the bike will turn right and go where it wants to go.
The speed possible with wheels deployed is very low, below 2mph, which is okay, but one needs to learn to slip the clutch to keep going without the wheels retracting or without the engine stalling
Practicing without a passenger, on an empty, flat parking lot is a must. The seller will tell the buyer to simply read the "tutorial", but no amount of reading or watching videos will prepare the rider to handle the bike when the wheels are deployed. It is only learned by doing and it does take some time to get the feel of using it
Overall, I got what I wanted. At very low speeds, like negotiating parking lots with stop and go traffic and a passenger on the back, the device does keep me from having to catch the full weight of the bike, if I do lean just that tiny bit more than I intend to lean and the weight shifts more over than I am ready or able to handle.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best that can be accepted, I give it a 7. It works, but be prepared to practice a lot and learn how to handle the motorcycle with leg up wheels deployed.
Best,
Steven L. Ashe

I really think that many in the motorcycle industry need to learn and utilize the fact that older riders are probably able to pump more money per rider into the industry than are younger riders, but will only do so if they are treated with respect and not just sent away after paying with the statement. "Read the tutorial!!"
I may very well have sprung for spending over $10000 price tag for the "leaning three wheeler" had there been more detailed reports on how that equipment was working out for others.
Steven L. Ashe

Back