free website stats program Alternatives to Trikes, Please? | Harley Davidson Forums

Alternatives to Trikes, Please?

Everyone should, of course, ride what they want. In July, I will turn 76 years old. My 2013 Limited weighs nearly 1000 lbs and I weigh 235. My lady is a big girl. At low speeds I am experiencing more and more trouble holding my bike up.
I've had 2 wheel Harleys since 1961.
I do not want to convert to a trike. However, I see Trike Alternative selling Ghost Wheels. I can go at speed and lean into curves with that rig, according to ads shown on video. The added wheels on the rear, lock in below 18 mph and hold the bike upright at low speeds and when stopped, which sounds like what I need. The rig is under $6000 delivered and it appears that my son and I can install it on my Harley.
Any opinions, especially from those with experience with Ghost Wheels, will be much appreciated. If you have no experience with add on wheels, give me your opinion anyway.
I did look at the front end, Leaning Trike add on. That rig is very heavy and over 10K to buy, without installation costs.
Let me hear from you, please.
Best regards to all,
Steven

This was actually called leg up landin gear....about 3500 for touring bike with you tube videos showing how they work.

Thanks all who responded. I do not want a Trike, whether two wheels are in the front or back.
I did check out Tilting Motor Works and cannot find any reviews of people who have had them on for any length of time. The unit is very heavy and really does change the handling qualities of the motorcycle. Plus, that add on starts at $10,000 and goes up from there. Serious add on, for sure.

I contacted people in Central FL, where I live, who do sell an install "Leg Up". That does look like what want and it does not alter the overall look of the bike.

When I am one up, I have no problems with the HD, but my lady loves riding on the back and I am having harder and harder times at low speeds, negotiating parking lots, gas stations, etc. When I go alone, I pull out the Bonne and turn up the wick!
Best,
Steven

(Big Grin!) Go ahead and laugh! One day you too will be old and have a difficult time holding up a 1000 lb. Harley with a 174 lb. lady aboard! Last Saturday, I rode with group of young studs who were on Ducatis and crotch rocket KAWs. I, of course, took the rear position with my touring bike, as I knew they'd blast through the open roads in the Ocala Forest. They did have to wait at the next stop sign, but they did not wait long before I hove into view. Guys younger than my son congratulated me on moving my Harley along at a rapid pace that did not cause them to wait for me. They said much younger riders had, in the past, fallen much farther back than did I and my passenger. We moved along and at the end, my lady told me that if I ride with these guys again, I'll be one up, as she had had enough of going the ton and more.
I will look for a Yugo, but really do not think that it will solve the question about which I inquired! LOL

I'm not far behind ya', at 66 myself. I've had to go down on bike size / weight also, to keep my "knees in the breeze". 17 broken bones in one accident, (drunk ran over me while waiting at the school bus stop with the kids), 9 mos. in a body cast and a year and a half of therapy just to walk again. My first goal after that was gaining good enough balance to hop on my Yamaha 360 MX as soon as possible. Our dear, now departed mother had quite a fit, lol. At any rate, the moral to both our stories is: NEVER GIVE UP. Kudo's to you Steve, and prayers for your continued safe riding. (THUMBS UP) !!!

Steven; I applaud your quest to stay on 2 wheels while keeping low speed safety in mind. I'm 73, been riding since 1959 and know the ravages time has taken on our bodies, especially joints.. A pebble slipping underfoot can cause a chain of events that will ruin your day. Like old bikes, we still function well, but can't take a lot of abuse. I'm not familiar with any of the products you seek, but keep asking around, you will find something.

Back