free website stats program Air Pressure in Tires | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Pressure in Tires

Hoop - you are a trip dude :)

On another note - did you ever get that Wix oil filter reverse-engineered? Yay - nay, don't waste your time?

I have 3 questions. Lets say we had an empty plastic liter bottle of Pepsi sitting on a table. The cap is removed but the bottle still has its normal "bottle of Pepsi" shape.

Question #1
1) would the air inside the bottle come out the open end on its own without the use of a vacuum pump if you squeezed the plastic bottle with your hand.? Yes or No

Question #2
2) When you squeeze the bottle with your hand and the cap is removed, are you REDUCING the internal volume of the bottle.? Yes or No

Question #3
3) Do you believe that if BEFORE you squeezed the bottle, if you had place a pressure gauge to the top of the bottle, would the needle pointer on the gauge go UP if you squeezed the bottle with your hand. Yes or No

If the answer to all those questions is YES, then you are blaming the wrong person for your frustration in thinking tire pressure does Not go UP when the applied pressure to the exterior of the tire goes UP. Don't shoot the messenger because I had nothing to do with it. Blame Sir Robert Boyle for his work with volumes & pressures back in the 17th century. Boyle's Law states,, Assuming that the temperature remains constant, the volume and pressure of a certain quantity of a gas are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

What else can I say? I am not pulling this out of thin air.

I read the above and decided to conduct a little study of my own. I grabbed a cold beer out of the mancave 'fridge and squeezed it. Very rigid and felt FULL. So I opened it, and noticed what seemed to be a rush of air either inward or outward, I couldn't tell. But now the can felt less solid but as I hadn't even taken a sip, I was sure it was still full. In the spirit of research I decided to empty it slowly, and making notes as I went. The can felt about the same consistancy as far as squeezability, as I went but got lighter. Eventually, I had the contents TOTALLY drained. By this point I still hadn't decided whether that was IN rushing air or OUT rushing air when I opened it. In retrospect however, it must have been IN going air. I base that on the fact the closer to empty a beer can gets, the more it(edit)!

Just my opinion, but I think I should re-enact the scenario to be sure! Ride safe, and enjoy the miles and smiles!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good that we are checking out tires but also we should check the repeatability of our tire gauges. If they don't repeat with the same reading several times, through them away and get a new one. They don't last forever.

Gator

Back