free website stats program Air Pressure in Tires | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Pressure in Tires

Philosophy 101 is now over, ever check your pressure with the bike in the air and then on the ground? Your average tire pressure gauge will show the same pressure. Sure the pressure will change with added weight or temp. change but not by very much. Not enough for NORMAL people to care! Keep your tire pressure at the specks it should be and have fun.

I believe the correct class is Physics 101 & you might want to hold the smart comments for other forums...here at HDTimeline we're all "Normal."

There seems to be a fair bit of air being blown about in this thread :s

Correct tyre pressure is in the owners manual for the bike but that is for stock bike stock tyres and average weight rider
if the tyres are not stock you need to contact the tyre manufacturer for the correct pressure for your application
if the bike has been modified or is carrying a higher load pressure will need to be adjusted accordingly
temperature and barometric pressure will affect your tyre pressure so check it regularly

Brian

Philosophy 101 is now over, ever check your pressure with the bike in the air and then on the ground? Your average tire pressure gauge will show the same pressure. Sure the pressure will change with added weight or temp. change but not by very much. Not enough for NORMAL people to care! Keep your tire pressure at the specks it should be and have fun.

I have 3 questions. Lets say we had an empty plastic liter bottle of Pepsi sitting on a table. The cap is removed but the bottle still has its normal "bottle of Pepsi" shape.

Question #1
1) would the air inside the bottle come out the open end on its own without the use of a vacuum pump if you squeezed the plastic bottle with your hand.? Yes or No

Question #2
2) When you squeeze the bottle with your hand and the cap is removed, are you REDUCING the internal volume of the bottle.? Yes or No

Question #3
3) Do you believe that if BEFORE you squeezed the bottle, if you had place a pressure gauge to the top of the bottle, would the needle pointer on the gauge go UP if you squeezed the bottle with your hand. Yes or No

If the answer to all those questions is YES, then you are blaming the wrong person for your frustration in thinking tire pressure does Not go UP when the applied pressure to the exterior of the tire goes UP. Don't shoot the messenger because I had nothing to do with it. Blame Sir Robert Boyle for his work with volumes & pressures back in the 17th century. Boyle's Law states,, Assuming that the temperature remains constant, the volume and pressure of a certain quantity of a gas are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

What else can I say? I am not pulling this out of thin air.

I have 3 questions. Lets say we had an empty plastic liter bottle of Pepsi sitting on a table. The cap is removed but the bottle still has its normal "bottle of Pepsi" shape.

Question #1
1) would the air inside the bottle come out the open end on its own without the use of a vacuum pump if you squeezed the plastic bottle with your hand.? Yes or No

Question #2
2) When you squeeze the bottle with your hand and the cap is removed, are you REDUCING the internal volume of the bottle.? Yes or No

Question #3
3) Do you believe that if BEFORE you squeezed the bottle, if you had place a pressure gauge to the top of the bottle, would the needle pointer on the gauge go UP if you squeezed the bottle with your hand. Yes or No

If the answer to all those questions is YES, then you are blaming the wrong person for your frustration in thinking tire pressure does Not go UP when the applied pressure to the exterior of the tire goes UP. Don't shoot the messenger because I had nothing to do with it. Blame Sir Robert Boyle for his work with volumes & pressures back in the 17th century. Boyle's Law states,, Assuming that the temperature remains constant, the volume and pressure of a certain quantity of a gas are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

What else can I say? I am not pulling this out of thin air.

Another history / science lesson, Thanks Jim for your research here, Jack:s

Jack, The thing is I clearly stated in entry point #13 of this thread what the premise of the dialog was from MY viewpoint.

Is it something to be corrected for? No probably not. I don't correct for it.
Is it an error that does exist? Yes, the error absolutely does exist.

Back