free website stats program Accident repair cost | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Accident repair cost

Ha Ha Ha, thanks Tank! Hope to get back in the wind soon.
Concorde was retired in 2000, hope it doesn't take that long (we still have one here at Manchester Airport as a static exhibit).
I am told that it would take 3-4 weeks for arrival once ordered from the factory.
We once had a great mail system (Royal Mail), but now a lot of it will be privatised soon, so the service has gone downhill a lot. I call in Royal Snail.

Good news for you, hope your paint is not an odd color like mine was, I had to wait 4 months for gas tank ans rear fender, the olive pearl paint was discontinued :s

One perspective you should keep in mind. When working with your own insurer you and they are bound by the contract. There is some interpretation room allowed by the wording, such as the "repair or replace with like like and quality" provision, but still the contract controls.

When working with the other party's insurer, there is no contract between you and them. It is up to you to negotiate your settlement. They have guidelines, but you are not bound by them as you do not have a contract with them.

So your negotiating skills determine your settlement. OK? They won't go over what it would cost them to replace but if you stick with what you want, and develop supporting documentation, you should resolve to your satisfaction. Do so in a businesslike manner, firm and polite.

For what its worth, I spent my 35 year working career with a major insurance company, and the level of misunderstanding of how the claims processes work is mind boggling. For that matter, so is the general understanding of what insurance is all about. Don't however, have first-hand knowledge of British insurance practices.

Glad to hear that everything is going to get sorted
Some parts will take some time to get due to the stages it has to go through to get to you
Shame it has been the best riding weather for years

Brian
WAP.gif

Good news for you, hope your paint is not an odd color like mine was, I had to wait 4 months for gas tank ans rear fender, the olive pearl paint was discontinued :s

I should hopefully be quite safe with gloss black. However, being an ex colour chemist, I learned that black can be yellow or blue shade depending on the pigment concentrations, so yes, you have a good point there Jack.

One perspective you should keep in mind. When working with your own insurer you and they are bound by the contract. There is some interpretation room allowed by the wording, such as the "repair or replace with like like and quality" provision, but still the contract controls.

When working with the other party's insurer, there is no contract between you and them. It is up to you to negotiate your settlement. They have guidelines, but you are not bound by them as you do not have a contract with them.

So your negotiating skills determine your settlement. OK? They won't go over what it would cost them to replace but if you stick with what you want, and develop supporting documentation, you should resolve to your satisfaction. Do so in a businesslike manner, firm and polite.

For what its worth, I spent my 35 year working career with a major insurance company, and the level of misunderstanding of how the claims processes work is mind boggling. For that matter, so is the general understanding of what insurance is all about. Don't however, have first-hand knowledge of British insurance practices.

Thanks for the info silverfoxd, I will do just that if it comes to negotiating. your input is much appreciated.

Glad to hear that everything is going to get sorted
Some parts will take some time to get due to the stages it has to go through to get to you
Shame it has been the best riding weather for years

Brian
WAP.gif

Hopefully the mechanic will order the parts from Milwaukee first (once he gets the full approval for repairs), then work on the gear shaft which is the biggest job. All the other bits are off the shelf from HD dealers, and simple replacement.
I just can't wait to get back out there on it, we are expecting some rain next week so hopefully it will be good riding weather when I get it back.

At last!! I got a phone call today to say that my bike will be ready tomorrow - finally!!
Hopefully I will be up and running again. The only part I am waiting for now is a rear turn signal. The cracked one still works, but it will be replaced when it arrives, so at least I can ride again and take it back next week for that final part to be fitted.
The gear shaft, battery cover, belt guard, clutch lever and exhaust pipes have all been replaced now so fingers crossed, all will be well again.
I will post again after I have given my verdict and the mechanic can get paid for all his work.

Tom

Make sure it is repaired the way you want before you sign off on it. Do you know if the frame was checked for alignment and cracks?

Back