free website stats program A question about repo'ing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

A question about repo'ing

Judge Judy!!!!

Could be able to file a small claims suit? I think it's up to $5000 for most states.

Make sure you have all evidence of the agreement and what steps you took to work out an arrangement. Payments made, missed etc.

It might be tough if the arrangement was verbal or it's not clearly understood what happens if they don't pay etc.

I'd look up another repo company to see if they have any luck. If they take it out for a ride occassionally, the repo company might pay (cost passed on to you as part of the recovery cost) an informant to contact them when they take it out for a ride. Sometimes a neighbour or family member that has been treated in a similar fashion are all too eagar to help.

That's all I got from watching court TV and Repo shows.

Good luck!

OK, basically what you want to do, is what the lawyer who charged you $250 to talk to you on the phone would do. Pretty much anyone can file a complaint civil or criminal, "pro se" which means you are representing yourself. When you get the time, travel to you local county courthouse and ask for the civil division. Some of the gals who man the desks there and actually draft the paperwork can be very helpful. Plead your case. Basically what you are asking is to pick their collective brains to see if they know of a legal remedy. Your ultimate goal is to get this before a judge and again, plead your case (ie: explaining to the court what happened and that all you are trying to do is get your bike back, and you don't have the money to retain a lawyer, yadda, yadda). Ideally, what you want is for a hearing date to be set, your "friend" subpoena'd and not show, resulting in a bench warrant. Just remember to go "hat in hand" and get all of the sympathy and help you can.....

I won't divulge the state where the offender lives, nor the place where I live, as it may tip my hand. Thanks for all the help.
Also, to the Mods...sorry about using an acronym to describe the piece of scum.

I am not trying to add salt to your wounds but you have to get your name off that title or get that bike back fast. If that guy should get into an accident and hurt or kill someone with your bike,,, not only will he get sued but the registered owner of the vehicle as well. Especially if he has no assets. It makes no difference that you were not driving or at fault. You will be next on the list. Insurance has limits and is only good for so much.

I would act fast.

I am not trying to add salt to your wounds but you have to get your name off that title or get that bike back fast. If that guy should get into an accident and hurt or kill someone with your bike,,, not only will he get sued but the registered owner of the vehicle as well. Especially if he has no assets. It makes no difference that you were not driving or at fault. You will be next on the list. Insurance has limits and is only good for so much.

I would act fast.

Hate to see that happen, I had to force a title once, it cost me some money, but I got peace of mind

Court summons via newspaper ad in legal notices. Maybe your guy don't read much. No show in court might win a judgement. Might be able to get judge to have Sheriff to collect your property. Ask court clerks before taking this action. Looking at possible solutions. Good luck.

My name is on title, but it is registered and insured in his name, so I don't have any worries about litigation. As someone said earlier, the only problems I have is that I haven't been fully paid, and if I get it back, it may not be worth a plug nickel, other than for scrap. But I really can't see him doing that...he's an arrogant scumbag and figures I'll never be able to get it, so why would he trash "his" ride?
EDIT: Besides, I think if someone tries to come after me, they wouldn't have much hope in collecting anything as I can show that I have tried to, and continue to, repo the bike, so the onus would be all on scumbag.

Like I said at the beginning...repo has tried, but it has ubber alarms and it is always locked tight. He also carries tazer & mace.
Maybe a lift truck if it's out in the open would be OK, but that's not likely. Maybe I'll try the LEO as backup for starts and show up with the repo man. He just might back down as I can't see him producing a tazer, or mace. And once I get it, there is no way he can get to it.

Back