free website stats program 96 vs 103. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

96 vs 103.

96 or 103 your still leaving a lot of chips on the table without a more aggressive cam but the 103 included with Harley's new Powerpack gets you an oil cooler and ABS too.

Agreed..You only picking up 7 cubes...103s have the same cam,heads,throttle body as the 96in motors..Line up a stock 103 and a 96 side by side and it will look like two semis trying to pass each other...only one making out on this option is MoCo for charging to much $$$ for 7 cubes!

2 completely different bikes. I would decide what type of riding you will be doing. With the added expense of tour pack and accessories on the Street Glide, I would get the Electra Glide and upgrade the engine to a 103. If done at time of purchase 2 year warrty on upgrade. As other have stated aftermarket upgrade to 103 will give you more bang if included with the added cams than from factory 103.

Agreed..You only picking up 7 cubes...103s have the same cam,heads,throttle body as the 96in motors..Line up a stock 103 and a 96 side by side and it will look like two semis trying to pass each other...only one making out on this option is MoCo for charging to much $$$ for 7 cubes!

Not intended to flame, but i guess you haven't ridden both. I have and it's a noticeable difference. Tracy

Not intended to flame, but i guess you haven't ridden both. I have and it's a noticeable difference. Tracy

Agreed! I do notice the difference! I also have issues with anyone cracking open a brand new engine. That is like giving a newborn a new heart that is working correctly. Adding a stage one kit would really make this bike cook...:D Nothing personal to what anyone is saying... I not sure why some people are dogging the Moco 103.

I am fine with 96 inches a leap forward from 74 inches IMO your ride you decide:s

Jack, my sentiments exactly. Remember those 74 cu.in. bikes. I thought they were super..Now, with 96 on my 2010 SG I'm happier than ever. If you're only interested in speed, there are faster machines out there. It really boils down to what you will be happy with.

I am just speaking from what I have seen...I ride with four guys..1 '08 96..2 '09 96 and a 10 limited 103...all bikes are Ultras and only have pipes and air cleaner upgrades no tuners and all the bikes run almost identical..you sure couldn't pick the 103 out of the pack...Yes I have rode them all several times and the seat of my pants dyno can not tell either.

I am just speaking from what I have seen...I ride with four guys..1 '08 96..2 '09 96 and a 10 limited 103...all bikes are Ultras and only have pipes and air cleaner upgrades no tuners and all the bikes run almost identical..you sure couldn't pick the 103 out of the pack...Yes I have rode them all several times and the seat of my pants dyno can not tell either.

OK, I stand corrected, most I've talked to say they notice the diff immediately. It's even more noticeable if the 103 has the stage 1 already done. My stage 1 includes Rhinehart True Duels, PC3, and a K&N air filter. It's at Greensboro HD getting the SE 255 cams (stage 2) installed now (along with the 50K service). I told them I wanted before and after dyno runs so I would know what the actual increase was. I bought it with the stage 1 on it, so I'll never know what sock dyno #'s are. Tracy

A simple to install Tuner on these bikes Like a TFI Would of Made the Seat of the Pants IMPROVEMENT.... No Stage One on the 96" or 103" will show that much MORE improvement With Out More fuel.
NO added fuel is like putting on size 9 boots when you need size 10's

The TFI or other fueler Does Make That difference.. BIG seat of the pants.

ALL HD's are TOO Lean from HD and that is that.(EPA) Then We modify the exhaust and intake so it BREATHS more air ,,,,, But where is the GAS? Sure the Brain puts out More fuel with the air But too lean and doing BOTH improvements Even HD says One Or the Other....NOT BOTH..

Now if you go into HD and have the map up-grade or what ever it is called and Yes you get a Little more Fuel........plus More Redline of which YOU DON"T NEED, with the Longer stroke(4.375) and smaller piston of the new bikes but ending up still Too Lean.
Yes HD has a cure for 550$ plus dyno time..... I would do my own and install a TFI with our forums Discount taken and any other you Qualify for.... You will have a great Running Street/Travel bike and for Less $$$..

If you are wanting the 96" to lightly modify and go 103" after 50,000 miles later, That IS a good plan ALSO... BUT then there is the Cam and Head thing Again......... POWER,,,, It Will Never End with me I know..

signed....BUBBIE

I have an 09 ultra that had the 96 and now has the 103 with SE255 cams. There is a big difference especially in the low end like Smitty said. Having ridden both if I had to do it all over again I would opt for the 103 but would definitely have the 255 cams.

Back