free website stats program 883 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

With stage 1 you should still be on the + side of 50 miles per imperial gallon all my bikes are stage 1 and they all get over 50 mpg
an 883 without stage 1 will feel a wee bit lethargic especially when climbing long hills

Brian

It's pretty common for most folks to pay the "HD tax" and do some form of upgrades. Be it form, function or looks. Bling, chrome, seats, mods etc. Most of that tax does not get passed on when sold. So, this is to your benefit when buying used.

Stage 1 is typically slip on exhaust and letting more air through the air cleaner. Jetting the carb or flashing the FI module to handle the increased air flow.

Stage two gets in cam and engine work. There is some sticky posts that give a detail description of the 4 stages of upgrades.

IMHO, so many folks look to get a little more power out of their machines that going ahead with a 1200 is a good place to start. I'm pretty sure you can get a 1200 for the same cost as an 883 in the used market. And for most in North America anyways, insurance companies don't really class them differently in terms of setting rates.

So what is the advantage of having a smaller displacement? In terms of fuel economy, at least of HDs, I don't think it's enough to measure. My carbed bike with full stage 1 (slip ons, a/c and jetting) gets 50 MPGs (imperial) cruising at 60-65 mph and short trips around town on a regular basis. I don't think you'll hear folks with 883s make any better of a claim.

In saying this, fuel mileage differs so much with the same bike, same specs and different riders so, I think its more about how you control the throttle than, the displacement or set up of the bike.

The 883 does have shorter gearing which does help acceration from a stop. Those bikes converted from 883 to 1200 have even a better performance advantage during red light starts over stock 1200.

By all means, the 883 will likely give you all the smiles you are looking for but, dismissing a 1200 with thoughts the 883 will net you some fuel savings isn't the best rational I can think of.

Hope this makes some sense and not trying to steer you one way or the other. Asking questions is the best rearch you can do before making a decision. I've never encountered an owner of a 1200 that wished they had an 883. Where as, you're likely to find some 883 owners that wished they went ahead with the 1200 or quickly upgrade to it sooner or later.

Carbed bikes are a little cold blooded (ok, a lot cold blooded) but, I do love it's simplicity. FI is just fine. If the bike is stock, you can do part of a stage one. Either a/c or exhaust and don't have to do anything. If you do both, the FI needs to be updated to handle the additional air flow. FI is nice when having to deal with colder climates which the UK seems to have a lot of.

A lot of folks go with a fuel management system so they can adjust their fuel mapping to suit their needs. So, find out if the bike has one if it's had a full stage one or just simply had a dealer "flash" of the existing fuel module.

I think if you do your own wrenching, carb or FI really comes down to comfort. The benefits of FI can't be ignored but, carbed bikes run just fine and easy to tinker with.

Don't want you to dismiss fuel economy outright but, IMO the more important thing to consider when choosing a Sporty is "fit". Forward or mid controls, seat, handle bars, solid mount or rubber mount engine.

Comfort will determine just how much you enjoy the bike more over than difference in fuel economy of an 883 compared to the 1200.

RUBBER MOUNTED engine is a NEEDED Feature... Not sure of when they started ??? 2004? 05?

Low mileage is anything around and under 4000. A lot of sporty bikes were bought and never ridden much (your gain IF a newer model)...

Get a color you like , it is not cheap to paint.

Make sure the service was done on time and properly, you should be fine IF a low mileage bike...

IF it has any aftermarket parts, DON'T pay a lot extra, lots of Low priced 883 out there and stage one may have been installed...

I'd stay away from a Hot Rod (built up) model because it was probably driven accordingly that way.

ALL 06's and before had Carbs (which I prefer) and the 07's and on, ALL had fuel-injection, NO carbs.

signed....BUBBIE

I tried to post this but the ?? won't show up...

Must be some of the problems here on the forum...

Seemed to work on the quote side though.. If you click on the yellow View Post, You can see I did this post longer ago then just now.. Sat 7:16 pm.

signed....BUBBIE

cheers bubbie, great reply. much need info . top man
why dont you like the fuel injection models? thats what i was loking at getting.
I had No experience with fuel injection Until my 09 FLHR...:D
Man does that FI SPOIL me... I agree with your Wanting FI..:naughty

I do all my own work, modifications and have the knowledge and tools for carb related changes and problems.(Old School)
Using fuel injection I am at the Mercy of the forum if I have a problem:majesty...

Now I'd agree after having fuel injection on my 09, It would have been Just Fine for the 06 1200 R. sport bike but was Not available until 07.

I do change out the jetting for proper fuel adjustments and like carbed bikes.

NOW you can get a product from Dobeck Performance called a TFI or Gen3 or Gen4, that WILL do wonders for a FI'd bike. As a Member here You get a very good discount on that product...

Read on this forum about the TFI product and you will see the Need for the Dobeck Performance product.:D

Good hunting for the bike you want.

signed....BUBBIE

The biggest problem with fuel usage is the action of the right wrist. If I ride conservatively I can achieve 40-45 MPG consistently on my Electra Glide.
I am not sure that you are going to do much better than that on any Harley.
So I disagree that, 40-45 is bad for any motorcycle. Now scooters are a different story........

Personally, I like the "minimalist" approach to two wheeled sports, less is more...883 is decent size, provides a satisfying ride with casual two-up riding verses scoots and cars.

Having both, but carbureted...the Harley XL1200 V-twin sporty gets 45 mpg and the Vespa GT200 single cylinder gets 72 mpg.

My two 4 cylinder cages...the Honda CRV an SUV get typically 35 mpg, the Toyota small truck about 28 mpg. Todays reformulated gas makes this mileage about 20% less than it should be. :newsmile058:

hi all, wow lots to consider!!

thanks for all your help

think i will have to look into the difference in insuring an 883 and a1200 in the uk.

cost is a big thing for me at present, not just the fuel cost (£1.30 a litre) here in the uk.

looking at used bikes rather than new, can any tell me which year the 883 came out with fuel injection and rubber mounted engine?

talking of which is there a big noticable difference between rubber mount and hard mounted in terms of vibes?

thanks buddies

kev

thanks for all your help

think i will have to look into the difference in insuring an 883 and a1200 in the uk.

cost is a big thing for me at present, not just the fuel cost (£1.30 a litre) here in the uk.

looking at used bikes rather than new, can any tell me which year the 883 came out with fuel injection and rubber mounted engine?

talking of which is there a big noticable difference between rubber mount and hard mounted in terms of vibes?

thanks buddies

kev

07 should be first year of EFI, very big difference in rubber mount and solid mount, same holds true for chain vs belt final drive

thanks for all your help

thanks buddies

kev

2004 introduction of rubber mount engine. Never owned one but, I'm sure it's worth it from a comfort perspective. Especially if you plan to ride at steady highway speeds. The vibes of a solid mount engine can get to your wrists and other bits after an hour or two. I think it's a matter of finding the sweet spot of where the engine likes to run without much vibration. (I've ridden all day without much issue) But, I know of many that find a solid mount engine too much to live with.

Definitely compare insurance quotes for both 883 and 1200 to determine if there is a difference.

For insurance you could try these 2
Bennetts, UK's No 1 for Motorbike Insurance

Motorcycle Insurance and Motorbike Insurance from UK Bike Insurance Brokers - Devitt
Get a copy of motorcycle news and look through the ads for insurance if you quote the code you will get a discount
do shop around I pay around £110 for fully comp on the sportster and about £160 for fully comp on the big twins but i do have a few years of no claims discount on all policies
However if you live in a big city rather than an isolated part of Scotland the chance of theft may be more prevalent and the cost of insurance higher

Brian

Back