free website stats program 883 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The biggest problem with fuel usage is the action of the right wrist. If I ride conservatively I can achieve 40-45 MPG consistently on my Electra Glide.
I am not sure that you are going to do much better than that on any Harley.
So I disagree that, 40-45 is bad for any motorcycle. Now scooters are a different story........

hi all

thanks for your feed back, all much apprieciated.

i can see that on a run at a steady 55 mph a larger capictiy bike is working less hard and may be turnng over slower, so in doing so maybe using less fuel despite the increased capacity of a larger engine.

but by the same token i drive a two litre 4x4 and even if i hardly touch the gas pedal i cant get more than 30 mpg, where as my wifes 1.4 civic at the same speeds will return nearly 60mpg.

see where i coming from guys, not disagreeing with any of you by any means. just after the hard facts.

i know i said im after an 883 as its smaller capacity means better mpg, but there is also a price implication of buying the bike. so a 1200 or bigger bike is not off the cards.

but again as its only going to be used for very short drives to work each day and the odd visisit to family at a weekend i just thought the 883 made more sense.
let me know your thought fellas

thanks
kev

If you're already getting 30 mpg, I wouldn't even be looking at a motorcycle to save gas. It'd take you forever to save enough in fuel cost to justify buying the motorcycle. I'd still buy the motorcycle, but only because I wanted the motorcycle. Or is fuel savings the way you're selling the idea to your wife? :s

Hi thanks for the reply, the fuel saving would soon mount up,as the car would hardley get used.
it would take more than a fuel saving to convert my wife!!
she cant stand bikes!!
its not all about fuel for me, ive riden bikes since the age of 14.and legally on the road at 16. 250cc at 17 and had a Z1000 at the age of 19. only stopped riding 15 years back due to them not getting used enough (needed a car for other reasons).
and then just never got back on one, eventually selling the garage full of bikes off.
I now feel i want to get back in saddle!!
And a harley feels right now, cant explain it any more than that.

I no all my questions have been about the 883, but it could well be that i end up with what ever i find that i like to look of.
thanks again

As i see you have added your location as UK so perhaps you will have been misled by the fuel consumption figures as a us gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon
imperial gallon is 160 fluid ounces us gallon is 128 fluid ounces in the UK you will calculate fuel usage in imperial gallons

Brian

hi again

are you say that the fuel figures quted are quted in us gallons? ie 45 mpg is 45 to a us gallon.

if so the would make quite a difference i feel.

thanks again all

hi again

are you say that the fuel figures quted are quted in us gallons? ie 45 mpg is 45 to a us gallon.

if so the would make quite a difference i feel.

thanks again all

All figures are MPG:s some may get more and some less, depends on the tune and riding habits

Last edited by a moderator:
An 883 is probably the best starter bike that I can think of. No carberator, no chain or sprocket (a chain sprocket system is oily and dirty JMO). Fast as you want. An 883 with a stage one upgrade is a sweet machine. Some Sportsters sit a little high off the ground and some of the newer ones sit nice and low. You want to have your feet square on the ground when at a stop. They are ALL Harley. My 883 had a set of Screaming Eagle pipes, and she sounded so fine... I rode this bike hard, serviced it regular, and it never once broke down. Never. I have nothing but praise for the 883.

I would expect 50+ miles per imperial gallon from any of my bikes but on longer trips takes about 8 1/2 litres per 100 miles
i do like to stop about every 100 miles or so just to top up and have a stretch

Brian

hi buddies

50 mpg sounds good to me|
i impressed that you all say the 833 is such a good bike. ( mind you i got the impression that one of you thought i might be a first time biker!! far from it.
many miles in the saddle on lots of big jap multi's Z1000, GS1000, Z1300 and the like.

just never a harley hence all my daft questions.

thanks for your imput, the fog is lifting!!
starting toget a clearer picture now.

kev

Back