free website stats program 5th gear whine | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear whine

Before all the new oil technology we used to put a cup of powdered graphite in the trans. of the old B-Mack and the International to quiet them down:D

Call me crazy but I for one don't mind the 5th gear whine. Changing tranny fluid tomorrow to Spectro 6spd and to honest if the whine remains so be it.

I also had that noticeable whine in 5th gear on my 2007 road king. harley addresed the problem in 2008 but if you ride a 2007 harley sells a part that attaches to your rear wheel called an isolated drive system for a cost of about 300 bucks plus labor, Why they charge you for it is a topic for another time since they admitted there was a problem with the gearing when they fixed it in 08. After installing the whine disappeared along with quieting the transmission clunking when you downshift into first gear in fact the whole tranny has quieted down to a whisper.

07 Road King - IDS will take care of the gear chatter (loading and unloading) due to the weaker compensator design, which you can remedy with the SE compensator, but IDS will not remove the 5th gear whine due to the gears are spur gears (straight cut) for strength. Use a heavier trans fluild (shockproof heavy), and it will quiet down some, but you'll still hear it, kinda like the wifey...:s If you run without a windshield, or use a full face helmet, or ear plugs, well....you just shut the door to the garage, leaving the wifey outside still telling you how to cut the grass, but now you won't hear it. :D

Thorns

I just bought a 09 Ultra and it does have a small whine in 5th, only 5th. I hope it goes away after I change fluids at the 1K mile mark.

I just bought a 09 Ultra and it does have a small whine in 5th, only 5th. I hope it goes away after I change fluids at the 1K mile mark.

With a quality gear lube in the trans like Spectro platinum for 6 speeds , the whine is a non issue.

Back