free website stats program 36 mpg | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

36 mpg

IMO...mid-high 30mpg's is pretty good when you're running @ 65-70mph...JMO

Hope that's not too many acronyms thrown in the mix...:s

Acronyms and initialisms are abbreviations formed from the initial components in a phrase or name.

I dunno, seems like we don't do as well in Calif. I've never gotten more than around 33mph. Right now, I'm using a tfi/stage 1 and averaging around 32.xx. Oh, well.

okay sooo, is 36 mpg about average or is it up in the 40s? I just know with gas prices just under $5 a gallon, I would like a little more mpg. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect great milage, if I wanted that i would have bought a Honda or something like that.

Determining MPG's is always tough because there are so many variables (bike, motor, fuel, conditions, settings, terrain, etc...) and the list can go on. With these large V-twins you'll see #'s from low-30's & up to 50's for some riders. I don't really try to worry about it much because I say anything getting 2-3 times the mileage as my other vehicles (truck & van) makes my gas budget average out. M/c's have always been more economical than 4+ wheelers so be happy w/good #'s & ride on...

Myself...I didnt get my harley to save gas...I only ride it for pleasure and day rides because of work....Thair is no way Im going to worrie about gas or aneything else when Im riding. Its not because I have money..I worry about bills every day...So for me, even when it hits 5 dallors a gallon I can still have a lot of fun for 25 bucks...

Seems like most folks report low to mid 40's on a stock bike. After that, it depends on what you do to the motor, how loaded down the bike is, and how active your right wrist is.

2ooo FXDS(bought new) best was 49 and that was off the show room floor
It HICKed every twist of the throttle... YES NEW....

then I did the re-jetting on the carb.. 42/44 was where it ended up..

Then did the stage one and modifications to 95" with Gear Cams/42 mikuni/head work/programable ignition and that is when all went south... 36/37 was where it stayed. It was Not running Rich and NOT running Too Lean.. Really HOT , went thru a Lot of rear tires under what I called Normal Riding for that bike..

I liked the Bigger build I did and cared Little about gas mileage/or tires/tyres..

I added a 6 speed rev tech and MPG stayed the same.. MPG is Not what I was after.

My 1200 06 crabbed sport R(bought new) got 49/50 out the door...

I tuned it with stage one and did the carb things needed to get it Not Lean.. I STILL got 48/50 MPG.. could Not figure that one out.

The 09 only got 44/46 on the ride home from Oregon where purchased..

Then I did a good stage one and added TFI and it went to 40/42 no matter how i tried to Improve my ride style.. 2 up or twisting the throttle same.

Added SE 255 cams turned the first pot down yes DOWN a little as it was too rich.. Now I would think the mileage would Improve????

NO the 40/42 remains constant...

I am VERY pleased to have the Bikes run UN-LEAN..

I DIDN'T Buy my HD's for Gas Mileage.......

I would NOT undo anything I have done to the bikes I have owned JUST to get better Gas MILEAGE..

No way as the motors I have Today run Where they run the Best..

I think it is the Oxygenated methods that COST us the Most on the Gas usage

signed....BUBBIE

new addition of the dobeck gen 3..at first i used the stock settings, and all was fine, messed with settings a bit, some i set ok.,.others i messed up myself,:sd
Went up and down with throttle, 70's to (well higher)...:)

After i settled down, i got all the #'s back to dobeck gen 3 suggestions,
This is all with same tank of gas so far, avg as it stands now, 40mpg. with some crazy driving habits for first half of tank of gas...however i did notice 2 things, when at 70mph,,i could see by the mileage that i was slowly getting or should i say, improving my MPG..which i was glad to see....the second issue was that at slow speeds, say 2nd 3rd gears if i lugged in, the bike studderd a bit as if it needed more gas...so i down shift, and or throttled up for more fuel, so if i keep away from that habit i should be fine,, prior to this with stock engine i was getting approx 40-48 mpg if i went a bit slower and did not get rambunctious,,:s...so all said and done, bike runs cooler, throttle response is much improved, and seems to ride smoother, i am ok with this gen3 addition so far, will let you know how and when any changes are in future update, 2011 sg, rush 2.25's and k&n a/c , gen 3 efi..later ryd.

Back