free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

On the other hand I've never noticed any excessive vibration even being .030. In fact I think my Honda Shadow shows more vibration than the Softail.

There other part of the theory I heard was the oil pressure falls due to the G-rotor gap/wear.

It's too late to know, but it would have been nice to see if that part held any truth. That is, was your oil pressure low. I can't see how it could not have been low.

MY question is how are the tensioner's oiled im betting by slinging off the chain .. i know they are oil pressure driven but theres no holes to feed the face of the tensioner or squrt oil on the chain

Also im wondering if the white tensioners turn tan with the oil cooking them what little they get

UPDATE: I've been talking to the dealership the last few days and I finally got my bike yesterday. They checked the run out specs on the other side of the crank and found .044" on the other side of the crank. They told me that Harley is willing to pay for the new engine if I pay the labor. I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand I get a new brand new engine for about $1,500 on the other hand I feel Harley should foot to whole since the bike was supposedly fixed under warranty for a bad compensator sprocket that is now trashed.
Comments and opinions on this issue are greatly appreciated......even from Smitty :s :lero

Seems to me that the dealer should foot the whole bill as they did the repair work under warranty and did not check the back side which in turn caused the problem that you are having now. Plus they got paid by the manufacture to boot for warranty work.

Seems to me that the dealer should foot the whole bill as they did the repair work under warranty and did not check the back side which in turn caused the problem that you are having now. Plus they got paid by the manufacture to boot for warranty work.

Roger that sloppy work on there dime

Well I just talked to the dealership again and told their new service manager, (who it just so happens used to work for Harley customer service) how I felt about paying for the labor. I told him I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'm glad Harley is willing to send a replacement motor, but I really don't feel it's fair I have to pay all the labor since they did the work and the bike was supposed to be fixed under warranty and obviously wasn't. If the bike would have been fixed correctly when I brought it in for the warranty work I would be in the situation of needing a replacement motor. His reply to that was "well, you know your getting a Smokin' deal, and I would push the issue too much with Harley, because we didn't tell them your weren't running Harley oil and that you opened the cam compartment up yourself and found the problem."
I then told him "Well, I'd appreciate it if when you do talk to them next about about this issue that even though I'm willing to pay the labor I'm not too happy about it and don't really think it's fair. I'm still in the decision making process on whether or not I will continue to ride a Harley Davidson motorcycle and the final outcome of this whole situation will have a huge impact on my final decision."
In the back of my mind I wonder what Harley Customer service would tell me if I called them.:27: :dknow :55:

That amazes me that u had .030 in of run out without notice of any ill effects before u decided to open it up and take a look. Makes me wonder how long it could have ran that way had u never noticed the cam tensioner or had just replaced that part. Sounds like if these motors can run with that kind of prob existing they could be almost bullet prof if harley could get the cranks right.

Dave

they could be almost bullet prof if harley could get the cranks right.

Dave

The crazy part is the "96" crankshafts are VERY strong and Very good. All that is needed is the crank pin being tig welded. The crank does not have to be re-designed.
A couple of extra steps to the existing parts is all that is needed.

The cost of Truing and Locking up the crank is only $150. It the monumental amount of labor of taking it out and putting it back in once the engine is made and installed in the bike. It really is a shame HD does not take the few extra steps.

What frustrates me is HD is just now starting to get away from there rep of being unreliable. To let such an easy fix take them back two square one

Back