free website stats program 21 inch front wheel | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

21 inch front wheel

You have lowered the rear 1 1/2" and you are now thinking of raising the front 2 1/2". There will be a serious drop off in control at low speeds and since you are short in the inseam this just seems like a lose/lose situation. I understand the styling exercise but I think you are going to be disappointed in the results.

And back when I had a 97 FLHR and even my 2008 Ultra, I had heard the ride improved with the change to a 18" front wheel. But I wouldn't have even considered going to a 21" front. Is the tire/wheel even the same width as stock? I don't think I have ever seen a FL model with a 21" front wheel. JMO, it would not be a look I would go for.

I have been trying to educate myself about rake and trail. A stock ultraglide has a trail of 6.2 inches according to all information I can find. I put in the numbers on a rake and trail calculator and it changes the trail to 5.15 . All of the information I can find indicates that if you have a trail between 4 and 6 inches this is ideal. Could anyone tell me if I am way off on these calculations.

When you say low speed handling will suffer could you be more specific on the speed. 20mph or less etc. Thanks for all the replies.

On the low speed handling it will mostly be felt around town type riding. But is you have 5 inches of trail you may not feel anything.

the front end will flop into corners for want of a better word at slow speeds as there isn't enough rotational force to keep it up right, local dealer put a 23" rim on a street glide and even stationary you could feel the wheel wanting to flop, that had the stock rear as well fitted along with air ride, now if the geometry is correct the 21" will cause no issues what so ever, 21" is the biggest i would go on a touring frame or soft ail for that matter, you might want to consider fiting a drop kit to the front to try and level out the suspension

With lowering the rear and raising the front, how will the lights be adjusted to compensate, won't your headlight be aiming at the sky?
Just wondering.

I have asked all of the same questions to different Harley so called experts!! Each time got a different answer,so I just had my front Rim Chromed and kept it Moving!!!! Im expecting to ride out west this summer,
WAP.gif

I have decided to go with the 21in. front wheel. I appreciate all of the feedback. I will let everyone know the outcome once I have them installed.

Back