free website stats program 21 inch front wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

21 inch front wheel

blldzr

Hello,

I have ordered a 21 inch front wheel for my 2012 ultra classic. The wheel will not be in production until mid week next week. I have been researching as much as possible to find pros and cons of this setup and am looking for feedback from individuals with the same setup. the bike has been lowered in the rear 1.5 inches seat has been modified by Mean city cycles. I plan on keeping the stock size rear wheel. I just want to know if this is a good change or not as I can still change my mind on the wheel. Thanks in advance for responses they are appreciated.

I don't have a 21" wheel on my Ultra but I know someone who did add it to his bike when he did a rebuild.
Looked nice but after he traded back to a new SE Street Glide, he said it was a mistake to have the 21" wheel.
Hard to handle around town in the turns.
He wouldn't do it again.
This was from a person who has 30 bikes in his garage!
He like motorcycles to say the least!

Thanks for the information when he said it was hard to handle in town exactly what did he mean? Hard to turn etc.

I have had 2 different Harleys with the 21 inch wheel with no problems...but never had one on an ultra...a buddy of mine has a 21 on the front of his softail deluxe and says no problems

I rode an 89 softail custom for 18 years with a stock setup which has a larger front wheel never noticed any handling issues. The best I can tell I could possibly change the rake and trail minutely by installing this front wheel. Would appreciate anyone with more knowledge of rake and trail to give me their thoughts.

Soft Tails & Dynas with 21" wheels have a 32* or 34* rakes on the frames.Before frame changes for the '09's I believe FL's rake was a reverse type rake, for lack of terms, in the trees. Hard for me to explain the way they were set up. If you looked at one from the side you could see it. I don't know about the new frames.
Gusotto has you pretty well covered in his post. The rake & trail will change, thus slow speed handling.
tourbox

My question is why change to such a larger wheel than stock, while leaving the rear stock? Is it a look that you are seeking?

Not really after a certain look although I do like the look of the larger front wheel. The reason for staying with a stock rear is that I am somewhat vertically challenged. Most of my riding is 2 lane highways I try to stay off of the interstates. I see lots of people that have baggers have switched to a larger front wheel so I am just curious as to what changes they have noticed in handling pros and cons.

Back