free website stats program 2006 Dyna inner primary bearing problem? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Dyna inner primary bearing problem?

Is the tranny and primary case fix at cost to the owner or the Moco? I don't even know if my bearing was ever done. Nothing shows up re: my bike on the HD maintenance search Glider posted.

I was told by an independent that my drive belt is out of alignment by 1/2 inch or so. I thought this might be due to the wide tire kit (I've got a 180 that was put on before I bought the bike). Could the Primary/Chaincase misalignment be my problem?

Typically the way it appears this fix is working, an owner has a problem with the IPB (first occurrence) and the dealer fixes after talking to MoCo customer service. Then the second failure occurs. Since the MoCo has already been involved and they are aware of numerous failures, they authorize the dealer to tear it down, verify problem, then order new cases and fix it at no charge to the customer. There is no service bulletin on this so it is being dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

What is meant by cases misalignment is that the position of the primary case has shifted where it mounts to the tranny case putting stress on the IPB because it is binding. This slight amount of shifting would not be evident without a means for precise measurement.

The belt alignment would be affected due to the install of a 180 tire only if the axle is not properly positioned in the swing-arm. One sign of this is improper positioning of the tire within the rear fender. Another symptom may be the belt whining, especially at slower speeds. This is easily fixed by following axle alignment procedures. Let me know if you would like specific steps for this. Its something you can correct yourself.

Just because the tire is not alignment with the rear fender does not necessarily mean your axle is out of alignment. Since the swing-arm is attached to the tranny, it could mean the engine is out of alignment,

Sorry for rambling.

John

I bought my '06 Super Glide in March 2007 and noticed a noise in the Fall of 2008. When I took it in for new tires, the technician noticed the noise and they replaced the bearing under warrenty (approximately 11,000 miles.

Does it have the "new and improved" bearing...or do I need to have a "history check" at a dealership??

I bought my '06 Super Glide in March 2007 and noticed a noise in the Fall of 2008. When I took it in for new tires, the technician noticed the noise and they replaced the bearing under warrenty (approximately 11,000 miles.

Does it have the "new and improved" bearing...or do I need to have a "history check" at a dealership??

check out your work ticket - should have part #'s on it.??

Hello All, I just got an 06 Wide Glide a month ago and before I read about all these bearing problems I was thinking to myself that it seemed to clunk a little louder than my last 3 Harleys. Being a previous owner I know what expect and didn't get too alarmed but I will take my Vin number over to the dealer and ask a few. The shifting is smooth but the first gear clunk is scary, I pull the clutch in twice and rock it a bit and I can get it in gear with no clunk at all. Seems kinda silly that I have to do this in this day and age. Moose

Hello All:
I cannot get the chain case off. The Inner Primary Bearing is hanging it up, stuck on the shaft. Isn't the rollers/outercase part of the bearing suppose to just slip off of the inner race? I attached a photo... it seems to me like this is not the OEM bearing. Can anyone recognize this bearing? How the heck do I get it off? I don't mind destroying the bearing, but I don't want to damage the chain case or the shaft.
Thanks in advance,
QehQeh

Attachments

• IPB.jpg
    IPB.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 81
Check this photo!!!

Hi All:
Well, I finally got the bearing off. The bearing is a stock bearing. What I thought was a ring or clip set in the inner race (keeping the outer roller assembly from coming off) was in fact a lip formed from displaced metal, adjacent to the groove worn in the inner race. Check these photos out! The marks on the front part of the race are where I ground off the lip that was holding the rollers/outer race on.
QehQeh

Attachments

• IPB_Inner_Race_LR.jpg
    IPB_Inner_Race_LR.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IPB_Inner_Race_shine_LR.jpg
    IPB_Inner_Race_shine_LR.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 80
What type of noise will this make? I have 10K on my Wide Glide and all sound normal to me. Just concerned cause I bought mine used and I'm out of warranty.

Most experience the noise when the bike is in neutral and the clutch lever is released. The noise sounds similar to that of a bad throw-out bearing in an older rear wheel drive car or truck. It is a whining noise. When the clutch lever is pulled in, the noise disappears.

To sum it all up:
My rotor/comp spring assembly came apart, destroying the stator. With the bike being out of warranty, I decided to do the work myself. While I was doing the repair I discovered the IPB inner race was shot.
I did research on the forums and found out about the protocol of having your dealer replace the bearing (with Moco paying out of “Good Will”) and then if/when it fails again, Moco replaces the IPB, IP case, trans case (with the alignment dowels), etc.
So, I’ve got the bike apart, got all the new parts for the repair, and I think to myself, “If I do the repair myself, and the bearing fails a second time, I’m back to square one. I’m not going to be able to get the Moco to pay for new cases etc.”
I called Customer Service in Milwaukee and, as I suspected, they said if I was doing the work myself, they couldn’t help me in any way. They said I had to have a dealer do the work to verify that the parts were indeed defective, and then the dealer could make a “Good Will” claim.
So, I got together a portfolio of photos of the damaged parts, copies of the “Notice of Amendment to Owner’s Manual” letters, etc. I went to my local Harley dealer and presented my case to the service manager. I was in luck. He smiled and said he knew all about the defects and, as a matter of fact, one of his friend's bike was there right now having the same repair done. He said, "No problem, we'll come pick up the bike." He said they would make a good will claim and I would just have to pay a $100 “Administration Fee.” He said he wished they could just go ahead and replace the cases, etc. but they have to go through the “after the second bearing fails” protocol with the Moco.
I got the bike back a week after they picked it up! They replaced the rotor, stator and the IPB. They're even going to give me a refund on the parts I originally bought to do the repair myself.
AND, the fantastic wash/detail job they did on the bike was almost worth the $100 Admin fee!
Anyone in the OC area who needs these repairs done, PM me.
Thanks much to all on this forum who offered information and advice!
QehQeh

Back