free website stats program 2003 FLHRCI oil pump failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 FLHRCI oil pump failure

Has anyone heard of the gear to gear setup like the old school setups eliminating the chain which would also eliminate the run out?

YES, Gear Drive cams and gears about 700 to 900$$$ plus Labor to install..
I don't think you uderstand Run-Out. (?)
Just going gear drive cams, will have nothing to do with Crank Run-Out...
to GO gear drives you need an almost Perfect crank and .003 max run-out on the crank shaft. I like .0015 max OR else the gears will be noisy and Problems with the Oil Pump Gears will happen again.Believe me it IS Not worth usiing a out of speck crank for EITHER application... You May use a little more run-out (bad) on a crank with chain drives but the Oil Pump (gearotors) is still a problem if too much is there.

The shop should of told you MORE about the damage to your motor. not just saying 3 to 6 000 $$

The Reman is the Best for what you get. Nothing wrong with this Newer
conversion to your TC motor and the hydraulic tensioner style chain drive UNLESS you want a Race Engine.:D

IF HD had the newer conversion they do today, back when I did my change, I would have gone with this new conversion system and it would Not have been as expencive as my conversion to gear drives back then in 01/02.

signed....BUBBIE

I too would recommend the HD Factory Reman option. Something cratered your current oil pump, and there are lots of stories about this being a symptom of a twisted (scissored) crankshaft. If that is what happened, then replacing the oil pump by itself without correcting the main problem will only be a temporary fix at best.

TQ

Should a cam bearing disintegrate at 24,000 miles in my 2003 Road King Classic. Sounds like awful low miles for that to happen. Anyhow $6,000 for a new engine. Does Harley cover this stuff? Anyone? Strange, as I drove it to the dealership and it sounded fine. I don't get it!!

Should a cam bearing disintegrate at 24,000 miles in my 2003 Road King Classic. Sounds like awful low miles for that to happen. Anyhow $6,000 for a new engine. Does Harley cover this stuff? Anyone? Strange, as I drove it to the dealership and it sounded fine. I don't get it!!

Have You read the above post????

surly you have not????????

All the advice given, comes from Experience and you seem not to have read it.

Why do you stick on the problem and Guess at it?

IF it was a cam bearing Replace it. IF case is damaged then IT needs to be repaire (if it can be).

Have you found out WHY the engine needs to be replaced with a new one or IS that 6000$ in repairs.....
6000$??? I could BUILD 2 fully repaired, rebuilt motors for that.

The reman motor is about in the 3000$ area.

signed....BUBBIE

Going with factory reman. 88TC, 1450CC, Upgraded to, BIG BORE 1550CC, STAGE 1, EFI. Stock #19630-06A. Thanks for all your help guys. And as it turned out it was a cam bearing that disintegrated through my engine crank.

I am a bit confused here after reading your first post. Do you have extended warranty? If you do this will be a BIG plus here

Going with factory reman. 88TC, 1450CC, Upgraded to, BIG BORE 1550CC, STAGE 1, EFI. Stock #19630-06A. Thanks for all your help guys. And as it turned out it was a cam bearing that disintegrated through my engine crank.

That will do the motor in for sure... Problems like this can happen Anytime...

Good call to go reman and getting the 95" to Boot... You will pretty much have a New bike from this.:bigsmiley23:

signed....BUBBIE

I am a bit confused here after reading your first post. Do you have extended warranty? If you do this will be a BIG plus here
I dropped my bike off at HD dealership last Wednesday for one thing ( I was rear ended). While they were doing the quote they noticed when they turned on the key that the oil light would not go out. They called me and asked if I could come down there. When I got there they explained that my bike didn't have any oil pressure, which indicated that something had failed inside the engine and most likely had peices in the oil pump. When they opened it up it was discovered that a cam bearing had disintegrated and went throughout the crank case , oil pump etc. I bought the bike 3 months ago. Forgive my ignorance about the Harley product but its my first Harley. ( 2003 Road King Classic ). They told me they would have to rebuild it but after the information given me by You and others on this site, I told them that I wanted a factory reman. engine. I went on the Harley USA site and discovered that for a few dollars more I could upgrade my stock engine from an 88T, 1450CC to a Big Bore 95T, 1550 CC, Stage 1 with EFI. The dealer initially told me that I could only replace my stock engine with a stock factory reman. So I called Harley USA who in turn gave me the PH# for Harley Canada. Once I gave them my bikes VIN# they told me it wouldn't be a problem at all to get the upgraded engine. After a little thought I think that the dealership just wanted to soak me for $110 an hour to rebuild an engine. The shop forman guaranteed me that Harley wouldn't replace my stock engine with an upgrade of my choice. I can be a little stubborn sometimes and not take no for an answer. Glad I didn't take his advice. So to answer the other question, no I didn't have an extended warranty. The replacement engine comes with a one year warranty with unlimited miles. I believe I will pickup an extended warranty this time round if possible. It was not the cam chain tensioner it was a bearing. I hope that I have explained my situation so it makes sense to everyone. I can't wait to get it back. Thanks everyone, Axle Greaze Jack !!

Perhaps if possible for the future try to find another dealer that is customer focused and not trying to get the best deal for themselves
However current dealer may deal with you differently in the future now that they have found that you have a wee bit more knowledge that they gave you credit for in the first place
The membership here will give you fair advice so always ask

Brian

Back