free website stats program 2003 FLHRCI oil pump failure | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 FLHRCI oil pump failure

Axlegreaze

I have a 2003 Road King Classic, yesterday my oil light came on. It was scheduled for a HD visit today and the mechanic informed me that its gonna cost me $3,000-$6000 for repairs. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and my bike has 24,000 miles (not kilometers). 88T, stage one with Reinhardt slip ons. Does anyone have any recommendations on doing repairs as opposed to a warranted job done by HD. Is this a difficult job to do, or should I leave it to the pros? How many parts should be changed?

Attachments

• Harley.jpg
    Harley.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 22
Who will do the fixing? The dealership or Harley factory?

Harley has a program that the dealership removes and replaces the same engine (keeping same engine #'s) for about $3,000, depending on model. Extra for the dealership to remove and replace.

You end up with a completely rebuilt engine. They check all the parts and replace what is needed. Engine looks new.
You get a one year unlimited mileage warranty.

If you have a cam in the engine, it will be removed and put back to stock.
I intend to do this, "if" I someday need a rebuild.

The dealership will be doing it, I appreciate the quick response. I have never worked on a Harley but wouldn't hesitate if it is a straight foeward job. But in this case I believe it is in my best interest to let the dealership do the work. I will inquire about the replacement option you mentioned. It shouldn't make a difference that I live in Canada, eh !!

I would be interested in hearing what exactly caused the oil pump failure. Did the cam chain tensioners disintegrate and clog the oil system? Did the oil pump fail on its own? With 24k miles, it makes me wonder...........At $3-6k I would be looking at a reman. motor too. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Short of KNOWING the damage, I would ALSO recommend the RE-Man from HD...

There IS a set $$$ labor amount for doing the re-man out and in by a HD shop...

The Re-Man program is not 6000$$ so be careful... I think it to be right at 3$$$ with the 95", motor out and installed...

The reman prices are FIXED (I think SnS does the reman for HD) and you CAN go 95" for a Few dollars more.(I would do that)

The new motor will, I SAY WILL have the Upgraded parts like the new TC motors 07 and up do.
(oil pump,hydraulic tensioners Etc,,,)

Check it out.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Has anyone heard of the gear to gear setup like the old school setups eliminating the chain which would also eliminate the run out?

Yes, gear drive is common however, it doesn't eliminate run out. If you have to much run out, you shouldn't use gear drives as they will not mesh properly.

Yes, gear drive is common however, it doesn't eliminate run out. If you have to much run out, you shouldn't use gear drives as they will not mesh properly.
I thought that runout was the slack in the chain? Doesn't the gear to gear eliminate the chain, thus also eliminating the run out?

Back