free website stats program 1st Service - 2010 FLHX | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Service - 2010 FLHX

Finally today I bought the grease for the Steering Head Bearings. Put the bike on the lift and injected over 80 pumps of grease into the zyrk (spelling?) fitting before it started coming out the bottom end. This shocked me, as when I had a Bobcat, I greased it all the time. I hardly ever put more than 20 pumps into a fitting without grease coming out the other end. This Steering Head must have been empty, and it holds a heck of a lot of grease. Anyone have any input on this?

This is very common the first time you service this area. I pumped mine forever, too, before it started coming out the bottom but I wasn't diligent enough to actually count the number of pumps like you did!

Congratulations on completing your first service Buying the service manual and the tools to do the service is going to be good for you in the long run as you will use them again and again
You will get to know your bike well as you spend more time with it
i Believe that on assembly the bearings in the steering head are packed in grease but the space between them is left empty now you have filled the hollow space between the upper and lower bearings so in the future a couple of pumps should do the job

Brian

Put the bike on the lift and injected over 80 pumps of grease into the zyrk (spelling?) fitting before it started coming out the bottom end.

Did you get a visual on grease coming out from the top bearing area? You got one up there too. A trick offered up by a forum member to make sure grease gets directed up and out the top bearing area is to wrap a shoe-string around the base and give a few more shots till you see it just begin to ooze out the top.

Did you get a visual on grease coming out from the top bearing area? You got one up there too. A trick offered up by a forum member to make sure grease gets directed up and out the top bearing area is to wrap a shoe-string around the base and give a few more shots till you see it just begin to ooze out the top.

I DID NOT see grease come out of the top. Good suggestion on the shoe string. I'll try that today. Thank you for the info!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very common the first time you service this area. I pumped mine forever, too, before it started coming out the bottom but I wasn't diligent enough to actually count the number of pumps like you did!

Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, first time it took a lot of grease.
Also suggest wiping off excess grease top and bottom; use Q-tip to get in tight. Even then (summer time) still got a little run-off/spray for the first few rides.

Just sharing another helpful tip from this forum.
Thanks

Last edited:
Today I completed the 1000 mile service on my 2010 FLHTK.
I did purchase the service manual, which is excellent. I was fortunate to buy a used lift jack from a friend for $50.
I took my time and did this work over several days. Finally today I bought the grease for the Steering Head Bearings. Put the bike on the lift and injected over 80 pumps of grease into the zyrk (spelling?) fitting before it started coming out the bottom end. This shocked me, as when I had a Bobcat, I greased it all the time. I hardly ever put more than 20 pumps into a fitting without grease coming out the other end. This Steering Head must have been empty, and it holds a heck of a lot of grease. Anyone have any input on this?
I also bought the drive belt deflection testing tool. I think it was about $25 in Vegas. My local dealer didn't know what one was. The service manual specificaly says not to trust your fingertips. Belt tension was fine. I think that if I do find something like this is out of spec, I will then pay the dealer to make the adjustment. But why pay them shop rate to look at it?
I kept all reciepts on file for tools, oils, filters, and grease purchased at HD. I also made a spreadsheet with the tasks listed and checked off. I don't have a number off the top of my head, but it was a lot less than the $500 (yes, five HUNDRED dollars) my local dealer quoted me for this service.
I also bonded well with my bike and now know what all those filler holes are for!
Thank you for your support and encouragement.
That's awesome! I did my 1000 mile service like you did, I took my time & spaced it out over several days. (Hubby was gone so I had his shop to myself with no hurries to get out). :) Not the case here lately with my audio equipment I have had in his shop for 6 weeks now. :(

Just an FYI, don't be terrified when you see blobs of grease coming out of the neck of the bike and ending up on the tank in the future. :s I nearly had a panic attack when I saw that after I had completed my service, but I figured out where it was coming from and figured it out. I just kept my towel handy to wipe the grease off. I too had to put what I thought was an enormous amount of grease in the first time too. :) Seems to be a pattern here. Hmmmm....

When I did this grease job, I had the bike on the lift. Grease came out of the bottom, but not the top. Today I hit that grease fitting again, with the bike on the ground. Guess what? Four pumps and grease was coming out of the top. Success! I wiped off all the excess grease with paper towels and NOW I will call the job complete. Thanks again for all the help.

Very good job! - Like yourself, I'm just learning my way around my 08 Ultra Classic and there's several do-it-yourself's that are very easy to do if you decide to tackle.

1) - clutch adjustment - very easy. 2) Changing the main engine oil, transmission and primary oil's....very easy 3) checking your "critical fasteners"...very easy. You DO need a genuine HD manual if you don't have one, a good torque wrench, and you do have access to some of the most friendly, willing-to-help folks you'll run across right here on HD Talking -

Good job on that 1k service :cheers

Very good job! - Like yourself, I'm just learning my way around my 08 Ultra Classic and there's several do-it-yourself's that are very easy to do if you decide to tackle.

1) - clutch adjustment - very easy. 2) Changing the main engine oil, transmission and primary oil's....very easy 3) checking your "critical fasteners"...very easy. You DO need a genuine HD manual if you don't have one, a good torque wrench, and you do have access to some of the most friendly, willing-to-help folks you'll run across right here on HD Talking -

Good job on that 1k service :cheers

Yup, My clutch is great now. Before I adjusted it, I couldn't hit neutral for nuthin. It was pass it up, or down. Now it is mucho easier. Saved myself a lot of denaro and did the job right! The manual was my first purchase. I still need a torque screwdriver to do things by the book.

Back