free website stats program 1st Service - 2010 FLHX | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Service - 2010 FLHX

I just did my 1000 mile service on my Fay Boy. What I did consisted of -

• Change oil - Mobile1 V-Twin - (2nd oil change)
  • Change trans fluid Royal Purple (2nd trans fluid change)
  • Change primary fluid adjust clutch
  • Check drive belt tension
  • Lube clutch and throttle cables and adjust
  • Steering head should be checked follow manual depending on model. Some have grease fittings
  • Change oil filter
  • Check critical fasteners

Check any other items in your owners manual.

Be careful not to cross thread, overtighten anything a little extra time here will save you a lot of time and trouble. Do not overfill any fluid levels.

If you don't feel comfortable with something (e.g. springer front end) take it to the dealer and just have them do that part. You will still save money.

And it was fun Right?:s

ALL Good Post Here!

Remember that you can Piece-meal the job.... Seems like a mod ?? Joyflyin did her own work on her bike for the first time.... Maybe She will chime in on Her experience...

signed....BUBBIE

Hi Guys,
I just passed the 1600kms (1000 miles) on my FLHX & was told I need to take bike in not just for an oil change but for a more "complete" inspection. Needless to say... Dealer will be charging anywhere from $375 - $450 for this first inspection. Not including oil change. My question is.... Is this really necessary ? Oil change no problem... but what else is there ? They wont do it for cheaper and like many out here... i have spent tons of $$$ on this bike. When is enough enough ?

Any feedback on this 1st inspection / service would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds, Shawn

As the original poster, I hope you followed this thread for some sound advice. Being unhappy with your ride due to SERVICE is not good...! The first order of business is to address those nits you find so aggravating...Harley ownership should be enjoyed and as Jack said, FUN...even if you do the routine maintenance chores yourself with a Service Manual and simple mechanics' handtools. Include a hand impact wrench for removing fasteners with tight fitting hardened Torx and Hex bits and above all do your homework and start early so you have the whole weekend to ply your new venture into service. You will be fine!

Hi,
The advice here is simply fantastic.. period !!
I will follow it and keep you posted. Much obliged to everyone.

As the original poster, I hope you followed this thread for some sound advice. Being unhappy with your ride due to SERVICE is not good...! The first order of business is to address those nits you find so aggravating...Harley ownership should be enjoyed and as Jack said, FUN...even if you do the routine maintenance chores yourself with a Service Manual and simple mechanics' handtools. Include a hand impact wrench for removing fasteners with tight fitting hardened Torx and Hex bits and above all do your homework and start early so you have the whole weekend to ply your new venture into service. You will be fine!

Do it yourself and keep good records, just my way:D:D

Hi,
The advice here is simply fantastic.. period !!
I will follow it and keep you posted. Much obliged to everyone.

I don't remember anyone posting this; Keep receipts for oil and filters. Your owners manual and/or service manual has charts of items to be checked for every milestone service. Make a copy or check each item off in the book. If you have a warranty need, and the dealer questions the bike being properly serviced, you can show him the receipts and check list. It's his burden to prove it was not done correctly. Enjoy learning your ride.

Get a GOOD torque wrench. not an xyz special from east jabip. a good american made tool. probably need 3 sizes, 1/4 dr., 3/8 dr., and a 1/2 dr. check to see the torque ranges required to get an overlapping set of wrenches. then USE them. all harleys have a spec. for everything. do not deviate, its there for a reason. for guys like me w/ little or no feeling in their hands.:s take your time and good luck.

As always great advice by all. Here is a new twist. I just bought a new Heritage Softail for the misses and had to sign a paper stating first service would be completed by a dealership or warranty would be voided.

Back