free website stats program 1st Service - 2010 FLHX | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Service - 2010 FLHX

sign a paper stating first service would be completed by a dealership or warranty would be voided.

It REALLY says that in those words. On a Brand NEW bike? I would frame that piece of paper. :)
That is a Classic!

I have a decent Sears Torque Wrench, thanks.
How about a floor jack? Is that something I'll need? When I worked on my FatBoy and wanted it level, I could just squeeze a 4x4 and a 2x4 (on top of each other) under the frame and it fit so tight that the bike would stay there. Kinda scary but it worked. This Ultra is a bit more weight. Haven't checked the height yet. What do you say? Will I need the floor jack? I saw a thread here somewhere suggesting several models.
Thanks!

And it was fun Right?:s

Yes - less stress worrying if the dealer did it right. At least I know I did and that I did everything. Plus it saves $$$

Plus you don't really have to do it all in one sitting you can spread it over a couple weekends if you like.

Yes - less stress worrying if the dealer did it right. At least I know I did and that I did everything. Plus it saves $$$

Plus you don't really have to do it all in one sitting you can spread it over a couple weekends if you like.

You guys are al right, and having way too much fun now LOL:p

After reading many posts here, I am going to attempt the 1000 mile service on my 2010 Ultra Limited myself. I have ordered the service manual ($60) from my dealer. I figure I will buy the needed parts from them (oil, filter, gaskets, etc) and that reciept will help verify the service was done. Maybe I'll take photos too.
I have printed off the list of maint items from the HD website. Most of them are VERY easy visual inspections, or as tough as check tire pressure.
Clutch adjustment seems straight forward with the video found on this site.
I'm just not going to get in a hurry and try to do it all in one evening. Take my time and understand each procedure. Without the support of this site, I wouldn't have tackled this job, for which my dealer wants $500.

You are on the right track. :) I print out the checklist for the service, have a high lighter handy to mark off my progress, have the laptop ready to log on to the forum if I have any questions, and most importantly I take my time. :)

Easier to do when I'm in hubby's workshop when he is out of town; I don't get ran off so quick. :D I have had problems that I have just walked away from and returned to the project the next night, mainly getting the oil drain plug back in my deuce without cross threading it. (It is located between the shocks which are on the bottom) Definitely a case where the stupid engineers should have to work on the stuff they design. :)

You can do your service without a jack, but it is easier if you have one.

I also take lots of pictures just in case I forget where something goes, that was more for my easy pull clutch, but I do photograph my oil and drain plugs to inspect closer later.

Oh yeah, I replace my o-rings every time. Even though they do look okay, when we took my husbands bike to a local place, we suspect they did not use new o-rings, and when I took his plugs out the next time, the o-rings were all frayed and torn. The ones off my bike looked brand new, but they get pulled and replaced with new. :D When I do the service on his bike and replace the o-rings, they still look brand new the next time I take the drain plugs out. :s

Good luck & let us know how you do. :s

I just had my 2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited in for the 1,000 mile. Using SYN3 oil, bill came to around $340.

Definately hard on your wallet. It did give me piece of mind, if that is worth anything to you.

I attached a scan of their checklist they said they completed..............

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 59
As always great advice by all. Here is a new twist. I just bought a new Heritage Softail for the misses and had to sign a paper stating first service would be completed by a dealership or warranty would be voided.

Ask your dealer if he is familiar with the Magnuson-Moss act. It's covers many items dealing with warranty. It's worth your $300+ to read. One of the items in the act state that any demand for use of propriatary (sp) products and/or services will be done at no cost to consumer. In other words, that piece of paper you signed is for a free service. Your dealer has probably found one sentence in the act that he will quote to make you believe different. He is wrong.
There are several articles in General self help and the whole document is at A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

one of the items in this act says that if a consumer must use a specific oil, lubricant, grease or other item to maintain the warranty, then said items shall be provided free of charge. look it up and print it out. read it and feel free to get some mileage here (use it to your advantage).

Someone mentioned the clutch cover bolts.

Mine were a bear. I grew up w phillips hads on suzukis so I am well familiar w the hammer impacts. Could NOT get them loose.

One service writer questioned my warranty, I pointed out that nothing I was doing affected my warranty at all and he backed down.

The trick to getting the clutch (derby) cover off was the impact, w someone leaning on the bike. HARD.

Yep, the bounce of a 900# bike from a hammer blow had to be counteracted.

Also, get a manual.
Get a jack.

For my softails, I got a set of ball end allens, made getting the tranny drain back in a lot less painful.

Even did the service on my springer front end. Tedious. But done right at the end.

Back