free website stats program '09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT

the Power Commander could me one of my next things to add as I have heard from many it would also help the bike because of how lean they are set up from the factory. These shields can be ordered for older model bikes as well...RJS makes them for almost all soft tails.

Soph, living down here in Fl I have oil coolers on both my bikes. My '94 FLSTC runs about 185F in traffic and the 05FLTRI runs about the same. The shields look great on your bike and am glad that they work for you. Try the 10 row Jag, it will help save your engine too.

Soph9 - An oil cooler is like miniature radiator mounted up front at the front frame tube(s), only instead of antifreeze/water, it is flowing hot engine oil 225 deg oil, expelling the heat and returning via an adapter installed under your chrome oil filter visible in your 2nd picture in front of the forward cylinder. They are around $200, and have attached a thread that discusses them, hope this helps:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_harley_davidson_topic/17584-jagg_vs_hd_oil_cooler.html

Post #12 shows a picture of the HD one for Softtails that may be just the ticket.

Last edited:
I was told because of the climate we live in...similar to Seattle an oil cooler would not be necessary....but I am getting to think it would not hurt and since heat has been an issue anything to cool the bike down is a + to me....easy to install?

Should be a piece of cake...and since your bike is so new, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, they probably would be happy to do it for you since you got the bike from them.

My dealer offers a 1-way tow, if you do the service with them that is FREE, and since it is an HD part, full warranty and factory support will be there too, if you do not want to install yourself.

You may want to ask the dealer to print out the installation instructions for the kit just to see how easy it is, get the kit, and the next time you do your oil change, just fit it into your agenda. Sides, HDT members are always here to root you on too! Also, look in the SEARCH tabs at the top and SELF HELP TIPS, Smitty, BigLew and BudWhite all documented oil cooler installations.

I thought I would post a pic or two how my heat deflectors look on the bike...they really work well and good enough until I add a power commander....check them out...

09FatBoymods.jpg

FBshiftside.jpg

I like the way the deflectors still show the chrome on the tank...and yes...they look factory installed....also, I have many folks who ride FB's and when they pull up to my bike they are not sure it is a FB and are not sure what is different...

I had to point out many times the heat deflectors and that subtle change seems to confuse people about my model...weird but true.

Back