free website stats program '09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT

The oil tank on my bike is the same as the fatboy. I can see where it may be a problems if my seat were narrower and my legs shorter. As it is the spout just sticks out of the edge of my seat. My leg sits up higher then your prolly does. You may end up grtting a wider seat. A gaurd would have to be quite thick to be of any help I would think.

the stock seat on the '09's is wide and just about covers the dip stick...but I had to change the seat right away...to wide...5'5" and pull me away from the handle bars...I could not get my feet flat on the ground. Got Corbin to make me a great tailored custom seat based on my height etc..but dip stick on tank fully exposed. Before the Corbin got a HD reach seat...narrow but uncomfortable. So other than using a wide seat which I can't...narrow it is...

not to repeat myself if you look at the 2010 fat boy..at least the lo ride the seat is just as narrow as my Corbin. Hence no more coverage stock wise for the tank.

Well if your not gonna change the seat, or change the tank, and a thin deflector will not work, and a thick one will just be in the way like the wide seat was. I just dont know. I wish ya luck. Post on what you come up with for a solution. may help some other person of your stature that likes the FB.

Last edited:
Hi, I purchased some of the deflectors from Zood, and while they do help, there is still a lot of heat that comes from that tank. My Fatboy is an 04 but I think the problem is universal. Please let me know what you come up with.

well..something has to be done because I can not ride this bike in the heat...got burnt today pretty badly..it was 100 degrees F....about 38 C...I was cursing the Boy all the way home from work in traffic to boot. I ordered the deflectors because I am desperate....there is nothing else out there that I can find that would not take away from the looks...I am almost tempted to see if I can just change it to something different all together..I am going to speak to my dealer parts guy and see if another tank made of something other than metal and chrome is out there that would fit my bike.

Such a shame to spend all this money on a beautiful bike to have an issue like this...maybe I just need to wear my sport bike riding pants...I wonder if the Kevlar would protect me from the heat....I am so (EDITED) right now to be honest and their stock seat (EDITED). So if you don't go really wide on the saddle and try to have a comfortable seat..you get burned literally. Design flaw I say..our Street Bob is hot but nothing compared to the thigh burns I have right now.:(

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
the stock seat on the '09's is wide and just about covers the dip stick...but I had to change the seat right away...to wide...5'5" and pull me away from the handle bars...I could not get my feet flat on the ground. Got Corbin to make me a great tailored custom seat based on my height etc..but dip stick on tank fully exposed. Before the Corbin got a HD reach seat...narrow but uncomfortable. So other than using a wide seat which I can't...narrow it is...

not to repeat myself if you look at the 2010 fat boy..at least the lo ride the seat is just as narrow as my Corbin. Hence no more coverage stock wise for the tank.

Since you are a rider who is not only 5'5", but probably in the 100 lbs range, you could get lowering kit for that new Fat Boy effectively an inch or two and have no issues (being lighter, the suspension does not sack) down like MOCO's "model rider" (likely a 6' rider w/ 34 inseam, carrying 185-190 lbs or so). Once lowered you could ride with more leg clearance, helping to alleviate problem.:newsmile03:

Also, does the actual cap get hot? I changed mine out for a lower profile one with analog guage because my leg would hit it and "pop-up" the cap, and it was such a pain to remove when checking oil. Just a couple thoughts on the subject that might help. :eam

Last edited:
it is the overall heat factor...I put a sock for a new born baby from my hospital on the cap..all ready replaced the stock cap with a temperature gauge to lower it...it did a bit...the heat from the tank was so profound today...granted it is a scorcher but I think even with a wider seat I would have burned today. The stock seat is not comfortable for me at all....and I am short but more than 100lbs...:p

My tank temperature was 250 degrees by the time I got home....

ANyone know if my Kevlar pants would help protect me from the heat? Too lazy to try tonight but I am thinking I might give it a go again with my sport bike pants....

Last edited by a moderator:
my pants are Joe Rocket and made out of textile/nylon material....may just drive to work and test the pants out when I can turn around and come right home if they do not help. I am shaking my head because I dread riding this bike. My Honda CBF1000 has a back flat and needs to go in the shop tomorrow. I have this great Harley that I really don't want to ride....what a ridiculous feeling to have eh?:newsmile077:

Back