free website stats program '09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FAT BOY Oil Tank Dip stick WOES-The HEAT

soph9

I am a 5"5" woman and just bought my '09 Fat Boy. Love it but had to get a custom Corbin seat to make the bike more comfortable. Having said that the nose of my seat is narrower than the stock as well as the width....the dip stick and oil tank are no longer covered by the seat.

The heat being drawn up through the dip stick under my thigh is unbearable when I stop...even with jeans on. Any ideas as to what I could do to absorb this heat issue away from my leg? The 2010 models have narrower stock seat and I can all ready see in the new pics where there might be an issue for new buyers. Makes for riding in any heat uncomfortable for me at least.

Rode to work this morning and man does that oil tank cook your leg...just might have to have a chat with Zoood very soon about his leather cover...seriously though...makes no sense to have the tank located so close to the seat...my other half has a '09 Street Bob and the tank is no where near the rider....I am a little disappointed to be honest because I am not sure even with a leather cover it would make my leg comfortable...going to ride home with a pillow case wrapped around my leg under my jeans...then...the bike will be parked until I can get something done. Very sad!:(

yep just read that he uses aluminum and vinyl....sounds convincing to buy a pair...I have sent an email and hope to hear back soon..I live in Canada and they do ship here....I am desperate and this is worth a try! Thanks for the link and quick advise....I truly hope this can "cure" the dread of riding in 100 F weather and traffic. :s

Perhaps a different oil tank like the cylinder type you see on the choppers. I've seen them at some pretty low prices on ebay and in these catalog companies. Jireh, J&P Cycles, you know the type.

RJ all ready emailed me and said he could send me a pair of his shields.....have a few more questions for him so hopefully I will get the chance to speak to him over the phone. Thought about changing the tank but I decided not to...I really think HD should recall this bike as the tank I believe is a safety issue and they do not offer an accessory for this problem. Since the have rolled out the 2010 models and the new Fat Boy has a narrow stock seat...it will become a big issue for those buying stock. I may even just write HD to hear their thoughts on this heat problem due to the location of their tank. Just a thought!

A lot of the riders of later models are dealing with the engine heat issue by installing XiEDs. A DIY cable that plugs in and richens the AFR and cools engine temps a bit. Not saying shields don't work but the XiEDs are very popular and a common element in the various solutions for dealing with the heat that comes with an EPA approved air cooled vtwin.

Look for oil cooled or water cooled heads in the near future; Victory already has oil cooled heads.

are you saying look for oil or water cooled HD's in the future? On the phone with HD right now to see if anyone really has made a formal comment about the tank placement on this model. They seem confused about my heat complaints...waiting to talk to a tech...it is a simple design thing...but I guess all those riders out there frying themselves have not contacted HD about this...I have no problems buying $138 item but I do think HD should either place a shield on the bike stock which would be ideal or just sell an accessory...:yes

This is funny...just got off the phone with an HD USA tech..he believes the heat is not coming from my oil tank but from my engine...I said I disagreed since it is my oil tank...he also reminded me to make sure my oil is fresh and topped up...just got my bike serviced for 1600 KM...he said there is nothing he can offer as this is the first he has heard of this problem...I said really? Anyway...the tech seems to think it is OK for the tank to burn your legs because it must be my problem and not the masses....OH well!

Back