free website stats program 05 ultraclassic oil and engine light | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

05 ultraclassic oil and engine light

Still in Colorado so please don't close the thread. Thanks.
WAP.gif

K, this is where I am at. I got a meter and looked at the VR. I am a bit confused though. The VR has two plugs. One that is sqaure with two pins and one that is round with three pins. When I check the volts on the round one, I put the red probe on each of the three pins and it reads 12.0 I dont get any readings from the others. When I place the red probe on the square pins, I get a reading of like .45 for a second and then the meter goes back to 1.
So am I all messed up? I'm not very good at electrical but thinking I should go ahead and replace the VR anyway?

Also, based on what I saw from TQ, I absolutely want to convert the tensioners to the rolling chain. Should I start a new thread for that? Not sure of which kit I should get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tested the battery, volts are 12.4 when i put leads on the battery, when i turn the bike on, the volt drops down to 11.8 and continues to drop, when I start the bike the volts drop down to 8 and bike thinks about starting but does start. Volts go back up to 12, when i increase RPM, the volts go up to about 13.8

Tested the battery, volts are 12.4 when i put leads on the battery, when i turn the bike on, the volt drops down to 11.8 and continues to drop, when I start the bike the volts drop down to 8 and bike thinks about starting but does start. Volts go back up to 12, when i increase RPM, the volts go up to about 13.8

I know you said you already replaced that battery but it sure looks like you got another a bad one.

Yes, I had the leads directly on the posts of the battery, so you are thinking before I go through replacing the voltage regulator etc., get a different battery? Wow, those aren't cheap either. Bought it from autozone but guess I will look elsewhere.

Thanks guys!

Yes, I had the leads directly on the posts of the battery, so you are thinking before I go through replacing the voltage regulator etc., get a different battery? Wow, those aren't cheap either. Bought it from autozone but guess I will look elsewhere.

Thanks guys!

Hard to go wrong with the OEM battery HD if you do buy another one but Autozone should make good on the warranty. What brand name is the battery they gave you?

And yes, replace the battery and then check the rest of the system when you have a known good battery in place.

so you are thinking before I go through replacing the voltage regulator etc., get a different battery?

Not so much a DIFFERENT battery but actually LOAD test the battery you now have. How old is it.

The proper way to test is first charge (or try to charge) the battery. Get a green light with a Tender if possible, The CCA of the battery is probably around 300amps. Load it to 150 amps for 15 seconds, Battery voltage should not fall below ~10 volts.
This is a proof positive test.

Back