free website stats program 05 ultraclassic oil and engine light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

05 ultraclassic oil and engine light

I will give that a try but the battery is new.

Would not be the first time I have seen a new battery go bad, hope this is not the case they are getting spendy, if the charging system is going south you may still be OK with the battery if you can slow charge it or have a tender, Good Luck:s

It sounds as if your charging system is going south I had the same problems, turns out it was the voltage regulator. get a mute meter and look in the self help section.

Don't mess around with low oil pressure issues. Open up the nose cone (cam cover) and check those tensioners. Your bike has the spring loaded tensioners unless you or someone else has upgraded them. The inner one is a bit tricky to check, but can be done with a cheap dental mirror. Get light and your eyeball in there and check. Any more than half way gone is time for a change. Consider upgrading to the roller chain configuration.

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Tracking, thank you.

At TQ: yes sir, I came across your posts about that earlier and I am just about positive that no one has done anything like that on the bike so I will definitely be looking at tackling that. I want to make sure I get the right kit and I will read more on your paper about it. Since I have to open the primary to replace the stator and rotor, I figured I might as well do the conversion as well. I have to travel out of town next week but I will order parts so they will be here when I return. I might have some questions about the right kit to buy for the conversion though.

Thanks again everyone, this is really a great site!! I've learned more in the two days that I have been reviewing the forum than in the years that I've been riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is more money, but if you are replacing the Stator and rotor, you should also replace the VR. That way your charging system has been completely renewed, and that should eliminate concerns there. Additionally, usually when something goes wrong with the Stator, the VR will be next to go shortly thereafter.

TQ

was thinking the same thing and chicagoharley.com has some pretty good prices, bike is going to be on rack for awhile but looking forward to it. I will post updates/results as I do along. have to pickup a proper tester, my doesn't do ohms but i will get that tomorrow and post results.

was thinking the same thing and chicagoharley.com has some pretty good prices, bike is going to be on rack for awhile but looking forward to it. I will post updates/results as I do along. have to pickup a proper tester, my doesn't do ohms but i will get that tomorrow and post results.

Check Home Depot or Lowes for a DVOM. Less than $30.

TQ

Back