free website stats program 05 ultraclassic oil and engine light | Harley Davidson Forums

05 ultraclassic oil and engine light

harryb

K, new here but great site!! I have an 05 ultraclassic FLHTCUI with 35763 miles. There have been no mods done to the bike. I use hd syn oil (guess I will change that based on what I have read, suggestions?) Issue is: start bike, engine light comes on and then turns off. Riding=no problem. Problem begins when I stop at light or go to an idle, the engine light and oil light come on, the voltmeter drops and the oil gauge drops. I begin cruising again though and the voltmeter goes back up to about 16, oil gauge goes back to about 32, and the lights turn off.

From what I have read so far, looks like maybe cam tensioners? How do you know if they are worn out? Also for bike like this, what kit should I get? Read TQ's post and it looks great but want to make sure that 1) would this be the problem and 2) get right kit.

Thanks for any help.

What RPM is your bike idling at? I have seen this when a harley tech attempted to lower the idle for a customer, the EFI bikes don't like the low idle because the voltage drops and can cause issues...

Thank you sir!! I didn't know that was bad, I will check it out but I do greatly appreciate the response.

Thank you sir!! I didn't know that was bad, I will check it out but I do greatly appreciate the response.

I was joking about your idle speed as you posted ten thousand instead of one thousand, lol

As for why your bike is acting up at an idle, I have a few thoughts on that, but there are soooo many people here that know more than I can ever hope too that I will wait for one or more of them to come along and inform us both!

Good luck and happy bikin!!

Bill

See? Told you I am new :) Just back from the desert, retired and this was my retirement present. Again though, sincerely appreciate the responses. :)

@The Tank: I will do that first thing in the morning. I didn't even know you could pull codes. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
cleared the codes, ran the bike, at about 5 miles the engine and oil light came on. The voltmeter dropped down to just above 10, at an idle the oil pressure went from 32 down to almost 0 but when cruising, oil pressure went back to 32, after about 1.5 miles, voltmeter went back to 14 and lights turned off.
Checked codes and got the following:
P--p0562 pn 32915-06
S-nonE pn 68922-00d
SP-nonE pn 67349-04
t-nonE pn 67348-04a
BTW, when starting bike, it acts like having hard time turning over, just replaced battery though.
So, thoughts?

cleared the codes, ran the bike, at about 5 miles the engine and oil light came on. The voltmeter dropped down to just above 10, at an idle the oil pressure went from 32 down to almost 0 but when cruising, oil pressure went back to 32, after about 1.5 miles, voltmeter went back to 14 and lights turned off.
Checked codes and got the following:
P--p0562 pn 32915-06
S-nonE pn 68922-00d
SP-nonE pn 67349-04
t-nonE pn 67348-04a
BTW, when starting bike, it acts like having hard time turning over, just replaced battery though.
So, thoughts?

Harley Davidson Community I would check this also and load test the battery after charging it

Back