free website stats program Zenith/Bendix 13859 carb | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Zenith/Bendix 13859 carb

Hi Don, can You help me?

I recently bought a '71FLH, my life's dream...
Engine ran sweet as a nut with the original air filter on.
After I fitted an aftermarket filter it didn't any more.
I followed Your advice and turned the idle mixture screw 1 1/4 turns out and the main jet 4 turns out, checked ignition, advance/retard unit, etc.
Still the bike fires back strongly with closed throttle or downhills. Acceleration fom idle or out of corners is poor until acceleration pump sets in. Otherwise performance is fine. I didn' go faster than 60mph before anyway.
Did I influence the float level when I cut a new float bowl gasket myself?
Thanks for answering, if You already had this topic in another thread, I beg Your pardon.
Martin

Hi Airmanner,
I am assuming that you have done a bit of work to the carb, and as well as changing the air filter assembly you may have removed the carb.
It sounds to me like you have an air leak, but I'd check the float level, gasket and the float needle for wear and smooth movement. With my carb I got rid of the float spring altogether, as it sometimes can restrict the float movement.
Go to the manifold next and check the O ring seals. Using a can of WD-40 with the nozzle attachment, spray around the manifold clamps. If the idle changes you have found the leak. If they are worn, damaged or not sealing properly they will allow air in and cause the symptoms you describe. Also check manifold to carb gasket as air leaks here will also do the same.
Regards,
Cris aka The Don.

Good morning Don,
thanks for Your quick reply. There seem to be very kind people here in this forum.
I have already ordered an overhaul kit for the carb with all the gaskets. I will let You know how it worked when I checked all Your suggestions.
I hadn't exactly "worked" on the carb; I was just curious how it worked. Though I have worked on a lot of old bikes I have never seen a Bendix before, and it's different to all the European and Asian carbs I know.
For example: Does the idle mixture screw fatten or meager the mixture when you turn it in? My Clymer manual gives me no answer to that. Nor does my local HD dealer.
Again, thanks a lot, Martin

Hi, new Guy here, with a question. I have a 74 Sportster, which came with a Bendix Zenith carb. I ordered a rebuild kit for it, and went thru it according to the directions. The only numbers I could find on it are: 13731 27155-72A. My question is, the diagram above in the previous post matches my carb. The "idle tube" #1, and "idle tube gasket" #4. My carb did not have a gasket there, and now that the carb has been cleaned, the tube will rotate in its bore with vibration. It is too loose. Is the diagram mis-leading, is the #4 gasket actually installed internally in the carb body? I havent installed the carb, yet, as the loose condition of the Idle tube will not work.What am I missing here? Thanks?

Please disregard the post above, I figured it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never rebuilt a carb. Have a rebuild kit for a zenith/bendix, any one know where I can get a picture or instructions. Thanks, Lefty13

HD_Bendix_16P12.jpg
Here is a typical Bendix carb

Back