free website stats program Your View of Heated Grips???? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Your View of Heated Grips????

Good morning,
I had Dealer install them on my 2010 FLHX at delivery. I will ride with summer gloves even in Oct/Nov. IMHO, they are a must and cost these days isn't what it used to be. I went even further and had Corbin make me a heated seat.. Makes riding in cold weather a pure delight. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I ride an03 Ultra year round. Installed heated HD grips near end of last winter, should have done it a long time ago. Should have run the control wire to he accessory switch as it would have made turning them on and off much easier. It is awsome when you find that the temp has dropped and your gloves are at home. Riding even in below freezing temps was much more comfy.
The down side is sometimes they don't last. For some reason this fall I have to turn them up to 6 to get the heat I was getting late last winter on 3. Not sure what happend yet. You will hear alot about the ones that fail but, not so much about all the ones that have worked year after year.
Installation wasn't to bad, they come with instructions for each different bike. 3 wires, 1 negetive. 1 positive with fuse and 1 control (taps into accessory wire on FLHT). That's the 1 I think would have been better to feed from my unused accessory switch. Installing the wires in the handle bars isn't to bad. Using a vaccum to suck a string thru them is probably the best way or pushing a thin coat hanger thru it with a bunch of loops of string taped/tied on the end and using a second coat hanger with a small hook on the end to catch the string loops on the first coat hanger. The grips come with an extention for longer bars. I put it on and then taped over the connector to make sure it would not come apart. then lubed the wires with silacone grease to help them slide thru the bars when i tied them to a string that I had pulled in with the coat hanger. If you don't need the extention once you have pulled the wires thru the bars simply remove the tape and unplug the extention. Either way you may end up with to much cable to push back into the bars when you install the grips. figure how much excess wire yoy have and on the right side of the bars pull the wires out enough to fold the wires back on them selves lie a Z, then tape the overlapped wires and pullthem back into the bars. the less excess wire the easier it is to get the left grip on the bar. Good luck and enjoy whichever way you chose to go.

Lets Ride

I definately agree with some of the others about heated gloves. I have a set of Gerbings and love them. I've been on rides down to about 30 degrees and my hands were just fine. The gloves heat your WHOLE hand and not just your palm. Your knuckles are what's exposed to the wind anyway. The only disadvantage to the gloves is they can be a pain to put on with the wires and what not.

I have used Mine on many occasions during 30000 miles on previous Limited.I don't know how I would live without them.They take the edge off when it's cold out and make for a comfortable ride.
For You Florida guys,I have used them down there in the rain.They sure make an uncomfortable time more tolerable.:D

My FLHTK came with them and I haven't used them much but I can tell you the 2 times I did use them I was glad to have em. Nothing worse than your hands cramping or bulky gloves. Not sure how hard they would be to install but you'll be glad to have them I'm sure. Wish my other bikes had them when my hands were frozen and I was trying to thaw them with the engine heat one hand at a time with no cruise control. Trust me you'll love em.
Same Here... I was amazed at how warm they keep your hands.

Back