free website stats program Your Opinion Please | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Your Opinion Please

I think the reason for the "NEW" frame is a merger with lehman trikes so it can be converted easier with the removable?? parts. :laugh

Wouldn't the "orginal" frame go back to the Sportster?

I can understand where you are coming from though thinking that since it's the "flagship" model, it's supposed to be the best. These are not cars and as it has been mentioned, different strokes for different folks.

I would'nt have bought my bike if it had that frame since I want something lighter and more nimble.

Re: Your Opinion Please

From R. Lewis....
So is the 07 / 08 Ultra's frame "sub" compared to the NEW & REDESIGNED 09's????????? NOT!!!!!!

Well first off the Ultra Classic, Classic, Electraglide Standard, Streetglide, Roadglide and Roadking (two), my understanding are all the same identical frame. Just different ammenties and cosmetics.... Hence these are all the touring frames.
No the 07 and 08 would not be (from my view) sub models, because the '09 is a continued hopefully improved touring frame.

For the sake of this discussion. In 1949 H D replaced the spring fork with the hydraglide front fork. Then in 1958 they added the rear exposed shocks (the Duo-Glide). I'm sure other modifications were done along the years. In more recent times in 1997 the touring frame was redesigned in a manner that the rider was sitting one inch lower. If you take a '96 touring frame and a '97 touring frame model sit them side by side and it is very obvious that the '97 is an inch lower. The same is true with this new '09 and all of its changes. The touring frame is just carrying on the history (back to the early Harleys...that has came down through all of these decades.

Just wondering here, weren't the first harley's more of a racing machine? I would have to give the sporty more credit here. I would say that the 'touring' look didn't evolve until the war years. More so in WWII, (this is just based on what little reading of the history that I have done). Otherwise, the early bikes just looked like some heavy duty mountain bikes from the past.

That is it sarge...the fore runner of the touring frame.
Through the years...
The engine got another cylinder.
Frame got heavier.
Tires got bigger (fatter)
seat got bigger
hydryglide front fork added (49)
rear back shocks added (58)
Electric start added (65?)
bigger hard bags

Many many other changes through out the years, but it is getting late and I'm getting sleepy....

Yeah what you see is a touring frame in it's infancy.

Very nice image I dare say.:)

Some diehards would say the sporty's are a sub-model but it depends on your style of riding, experience level and use. My 98 1200 custom could run rings around any other model in city traffic but was a real bone rattler on the open road. Apart from being pre-rubber mounted it was an awesome machine - a Harley in every way - and one of the original models.

My Deuce is as different in other ways; an awesome machine and I love it.

So to answer your question - No, I don't think there are any sub-models, only classy, quality motorcycles each model built for specific needs, applications and riding styles. They're all Harleys and each model is worthy of the title. :small3d018:

Sub par is the wrong word. Harley has a line up of bikes to fit every type of riding style and budget. It is no different from comparing a Ford Focus to a Lincoln to a Mustang. Is a 883 Sportster comparable to a let's say a Softail custom?? certainly not, but I would say that the 883 is as every bit of quality that the Softail is, just in a different package. I myself don't care for the touring models, they are beautiful bikes, but they are not to my taste. I like the style of the Dyna's and Softails. I would eventually like to get a Heritage, I think the bike looks great in the deep Turquoise blue and antique white, this will most likely be my next bike.

So again sub par is the wrong word, I would say you get what your budget lets you get and you just keep working you way up the line..

Irish Hog :41:

Back