free website stats program Your Opinion Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Your Opinion Please

Randall K. Wilson

I have read a good bit on the History of Harley Davidson and the developing of different models. This is not intended to be snobby, but I have felt for a long time that Harley models other than the Touring Frame group are sub-models. There are distinctions I like about all the models, however to me the Touring Frame is the top of the line, hence the other models are sub-models.

Are there folk on the forum who share my view? Or would this opinon of mine be viewed as that belonging to a gent who is an "individual"?

I don't think they have any "sub" models. They just build different bikes for different tastes. They have some entry level bikes also. None of them are built with any less quality.

They are making a big deal out of the new touring frame now because it is new. They updated the Softails in 2000.

Not all of us are old enough for a touring bike yet. :p

Can't agree more, it is built to just a matter of tastes for different bikers, who want different things. I for one am not ready for all the amenities of the Touring bikes, perfectly happy with my bare bones Dyna, while others desire the Sportster, V-Rod or Softail.

Touring are for just that, people that want the comfort and ability for the long haul. Why do you think there are 100s of different model cars, to reach the various markets of people to meet there needs.

They are all Harleys. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. Nothing sub-par with any of them.

I agree, I don't think HD has any "sub" bike. I went to the plant and tour it where the dyna's and v-rod's are made and the quality and pride go into those just like any touring bike that HD would make. I have a dyna and love it. However, I will also be getting something along the line of a street glide on down the road but I will be keeping the dyna. It is a very fun bike and I love to ride it. The street glide will be for me and the wife to take long trips on.

Each family has its own personality and is set up to handle and "behave" differently. I know - in a 6 month period I owned a Sportster and rented a Street Bob, Dyna Wide Glide, Road King, ElectraGlide, Softtail Heritage Classic, and a Fatboy before purchasing a Street Glide.

I don't think anyone would like to think of their choice in
bikes as second class or a "sub model". Honest question -
What about the Dynas , Softails , Sportsters , etc would
make them be considered a sub class when compared to
say an Ultra ? Maybe I'm missing something here but my
Heritage fits me like a glove and , so far , hasn't given me
a minutes problem.
Unk

Thanks I have read the above post with deep interest.

It seems to me that the touring frame's history and origin goes back to the original H-D. Hence that is what I mean by the other frames are sub models. Not that they are not great bikes...just that they evolved in some cases much later in the companys history. Hence, for marketing purposes to promote sales.

So is the 07 / 08 Ultra's frame "sub" compared to the NEW & REDESIGNED 09's????????? NOT!!!!!!

Back